Newbie Needs Care Instructions and Turtle Identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonotforyou

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
127033292_o.jpg

Hi, I just received a turtle from someone on Craigslist, and I don't know anything about him. If anyone can help identify the species and let me know what he needs in terms of habitat food care etc. It also looks like his shell is damaged any help is appreciated.

127033255_o.jpg

127033266_o.jpg

127033277_o.jpg

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Hi, welcome to the forum it is a slider most likely a Red Ear Slider. It is an aquatic turtle. Here is some care sheets sites
http://animal.discovery.com/guides/reptiles/turtles/slider.html
http://www.tortoise.org/archives/elegans.html

I do not see the shell damage you speak of can you get a pic identifying it?
You will need a large aquarium or a pond - Ponds are preferable when these get big-can get up to 12 inches.
When they are small they are mainly carnivores eating mosquito larva, small meal worms, small crickets, very small fish, etc.
When they get larger they become mainly herbivores eating water plants with meat only occasionally.
The above sites will help explain more.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
You have a red-eared slider. The best set-up in my opinion is a kids swimming pool with a haul out area of wood or smooth rocks. The other members can give more indepth instructions on their care than I because I don't keep purely aquatic turtles.

sonotforyou

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi, thanks for the info, As for what I thought was damage to the shell, I didn't know they shed so, I now think that most likely that is what he is doing. There re just two areas on top of his shell that are loose. What should I do with him tonight, until I am able to get him an aquaruim tomorrow? Would a bathtub partially filled be okay until morning?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
the bathtub should be ok as long as there is no soap residue. Or you can use a plastic Tote for now. Just make sure you have something he can get out of the water on. Like a rock that is just above the surface of the water. How big is your turtle? Here is a site on how to measure your turtle. http://www.tlady.clara.net/measure.htm
Please read the care sheets and any info you can get to. these get fairly big. and will outgrow a small aquarium in no time. The water for a small turtle should be about 1 to 2 times his shell lenght.( I think- I am not an expert and at the moment am only fostering a 71/2 inch RES (Red Ear Slider). Itort had a great suggestion with a kiddy pool. If it is large enough to be outside or if you can place a netting over the pool.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
RES (Red eared slider) care, Based on pictures I am guessing he is 4-5" which means he would need a 50 gallon tank. You base the size of his housing on his length - basically 10 gallons for every inch. You will want a large tank, 55gal rubbermaid tub, kiddie pool, etc. Fill whatever habitat to the point that he will not climb out, probabley about 6" or so from the top (they will climb out if they get the chance, then good luck finding him). You want a good filter, it is the only way of keeping the smell gone, I personally have a 125 gal tank w/ 3 res inside, I use a fluval 405 canister filter and 2 internal cascades - they keep the tank clean but at first chance I am getting another one. Don't buy the cheap filters they sell for turtles or even the cheap ones for the back of the tank - they don't work, your tank will smell and constantly dirty. If you decide to start with a 55 gal tub - one fluval would work and you could put a drain in the bottom of the tub for easy cleaning.
For lights you will need a heat lamp and a uvb bulb, zoo med sells a water turtle heat lamp - which is suppose to be splash proof, I got one recently and have had no problems with it - my previous ones kept breaking do to the turtles.
You want to you large rocks for the bottom - make sure they are bigger then your turtles head that way he won't eat them. You could also put live plants in there but plan on them being pulled out or eaten frequently.
As for food, I use reptomin turtle pellets, I feed them those every other day, twice a month I buy 60 rosey red minnows or guppies and put them in the tank (for 3 RES & Fish), I give them a few red wigglers or earth worms every couple of days, Plus I give carrots, red leaf, green leaf, endive, escorele, romaine, dandelion greens, squashes, fruit, every other day. Mine do not eat a lot of the veggies and greens yet but they are starting to. (they were never given before I took them in). **Any extra food floating after 20-30 mins scoop out with a fish net otherwise your tank will become nasty. **A good ratio for feeding is Commercial food 25%, animal matter 25%, Plant matter 50%, vitamin supplements 2-3 times a week. I use the worms as the main protein, and the fish more as exercise, when the fish are in the tank don't give the worms. A few more caresheets are http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-red_ear_slider.htm and http://www.anapsid.org/reslider.html, Good Luck and feel free to ask any other questions.. And welcome to TFO glad you found us!!

sonotforyou

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank you guys for all your help and advice, just one more question! I am going to use a huge rubbermaid container. Can I keep my RES outside in the container? He is about 5 1/2 inches.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
You need to make sure you have a cover of some type to keep other critters from getting to him, also you need to check the temps often as plastic containers can get real hot on the inside for the turtle.

Status
Not open for further replies.