Newbie looking for advice on supplementation

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Bristol Uk
Did you wet the substrate?
Take a pitcher of warm water and start pouring it into the substrate. Then mix it up with your hands until it is all nicely damp. You don't want it like a swamp with standing water, and you don't want the Sahara either...just damp enough that the orchid bark looks darker than when it's dry...pleasantly damp. :D

Double check that your temps are where they should be. You need to keep Pebbles warm with the damp substrate.
warm + damp = happy tort ?
cold + damp = RI :(

You should only have to pour more water every few days depending on how often you open the door. I find that using warm water is beneficial...your hygrometer will shoot up! Don't forget to dampen inside his hides so he sleeps in humid air.

His enclosure is very pretty! You've done well! There are a couple details I'd like to mention.

First, just to verify, is there a ceiling on the enclosure? Is it solid or screening? I can't quite see in the pic.

Second, his water dish has steep sides, which can make it difficult for him to climb in and out. Since torts don't bend in the middle, they stand straight up to try to do an up-and-over maneuver, often falling backward in the process. If in the water when this happens, drowning can result. Even without drowning, being on its back for an extended time can be fatal. We recommend using a terra cotta plant saucer for water. The sloped sides are perfect, and when pushed down so the lip is even with the substrate, is easy to get in and out.

Your basking bulb is visible...do you have a UVB light in there? Is the basking bulb and UVB a combo bulb? I'll go over that in another post.

So I’ve come home and the humidity was 60%, gave it a good spraying and it’s now 80% so I’m happy, temps are 33c in basking area and 22c in cool area, night time temp between 19/20c, hope this is all good now? ?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
So I’ve come home and the humidity was 60%, gave it a good spraying and it’s now 80% so I’m happy, temps are 33c in basking area and 22c in cool area, night time temp between 19/20c, hope this is all good now? ?
For most year old torts, I would say to raise these temps a couple degrees. But we have a member here who specializes in Hermann's, and he says "don't baby them". ?

He wrote this a while back...you may find it helpful.
@HermanniChris

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
As for your lights, the UVB tube is good. Your basking bulb could be better.

Spot bulbs do just that...they narrow down the light and heat into a small spot. That concentrated beam of heat dessicates the shell and can actually burn it.

Much better is an incandescent flood bulb. I see that you have been following the current thread on that. Let's ask @Lyn W what bulb you can buy/order where you live.

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Bristol Uk
As for your lights, the UVB tube is good. Your basking bulb could be better.

Spot bulbs do just that...they narrow down the light and heat into a small spot. That concentrated beam of heat dessicates the shell and can actually burn it.

Much better is an incandescent flood bulb. I see that you have been following the current thread on that. Let's ask @Lyn W what bulb you can buy/order where you live.
Thankyou Karen, I’ve googled the bulbs but I’m not sure which one’s to get as they’re are several, pebbles seems a lot happier now since changing the substrate and humidity, I just need to get the correct bulbs, can you suggest which strength I need please?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thankyou Karen, I’ve googled the bulbs but I’m not sure which one’s to get as they’re are several, pebbles seems a lot happier now since changing the substrate and humidity, I just need to get the correct bulbs, can you suggest which strength I need please?

If you can buy an incandescent flood bulb, I'd try a 65 watt first. I can't say exactly because only your thermometer will tell you. You would get this in a hardware store, or wherever they sell a wide variety of bulbs.

If you are unable to buy a flood bulb, you could try to order this. I'd get a 100 watt since 75 watt are sold out.

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Bristol Uk
If you can buy an incandescent flood bulb, I'd try a 65 watt first. I can't say exactly because only your thermometer will tell you. You would get this in a hardware store, or wherever they sell a wide variety of bulbs.

If you are unable to buy a flood bulb, you could try to order this. I'd get a 100 watt since 75 watt are sold out.

Thanks Karen, I'll check out the incandescent bulbs, I've used the Arcadia bulbs but they weren't very good, they only lasted 1-2 weeks and I struggled to keep the heat up with a 75 watt, however I still have 1 as back up just in case.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thanks Karen, I'll check out the incandescent bulbs, I've used the Arcadia bulbs but they weren't very good, they only lasted 1-2 weeks and I struggled to keep the heat up with a 75 watt, however I still have 1 as back up just in case.
You've used these bulbs? Ahhhh, I thought I had found the solution to the problem! ?

Other Arcadia stuff is so good. How disappointing this is!

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Bristol Uk
You've used these bulbs? Ahhhh, I thought I had found the solution to the problem! ?

Other Arcadia stuff is so good. How disappointing this is!
Sorry Karen I read your reply wrong, I’ve tried the Arcadia spot light but now looking for the Arcadia flood bulb, I didn’t realise these were different ?