Newbie Intro

Allintime

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
HI Everyone,

I am new to the site. Old to the world. Saved a young (2.5 " ) FL Box turtle from Goodyear and Dunlop and other bad things in the road. Grew up with Box turtles so all was good. He was eating in a couple of hours of being saved. All was good. Until I read that keeping a wild FL Box Turtle isn't the best thing. I took it into the back country near some water and grasses and sent him on his way. He wasn't in any big hurry, he had quite a nice lifestyle going. But my youth love for reptiles had been rekindled. I started my search for a captive bred turtle. Decided the Cherry Head was a good fit. Found an online dealer who looked committed to the love of reptiles and ordered a CB Cherry Head. Thats where it all went wrong. I didn't find this site until afterwards. I had ordered from Backwater Reptiles. Nuff said. The little fella arrived just fine. It was shipped out of S Florida so that was pretty easy. One little issue. They got the redfoot part right, but left out the Cherry head part.
Not worth the hassle to the animal to put it through another Fed Ex adventure not to mention the charges etc etc....

There are lots of little things Im leaving out just not to bore you to tears. I have a redfoot that needs a name, is in good hands and eats and drinks, so the start of the journey hasn't been all that bad.
High Humidity - Check
High Temperatures - Check
Not in Direct Sunlight -Check
Not accessible to wandering varmints-Check
New Animal Plastics Home Ordered for Winter use - Check

The new journey Begins

Stormy Bluu

Central Pennsylvania
Welcome from Pennsylvania and a fellow red foot keeper!

Sorry to hear about the rocky start. Did Blackwater refund you for the price difference at least (they usually charge more for cherry heads)? When I was new to the reptile hobby I also purchased from them and I received a snake that was of a different species and sex (and of course a cheaper snake) then the one I originally ordered. The ordeal was not great and their customer service was not very helpful. I then found out from friends in the reptile community that that company has a lot of complaints and horror stories. I have since learned that the best places to purchase animals at thru quality breeders.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Sorry it didn't start out as planned. But sure sounds like the RF found a great loving home.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

I'll just add one more bad report to the list against Backwater...

HenleyT

Albuquerque, NM
Hello and Welcome from New Mexico....I'm so sorry to hear about your bad experience...but...your on the right track now.