newbie in desperate need of help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kezdoc09

5 Year Member
ok, please bare with me on this coz its gonna be quite long but i really need some advice!!
My friends nan has had a tortoise for 50 odd years but she is getting old and has said that i can take the tortoise on! This is great as i have always wanted one but in actual fact i really don't know that much about them!
I know wot u are all thinking why don't i just speak to the nan? but these are the reasons why -

1. She feeds her tortoise dog food!
2. She has never once used a basking lamp or heat mat!
3. Her garden is apparently mostly in the shade!

I have done some reading and all these things are obvously not good so how is this tortoise still alive and what sort of condition will it be in?

My main questions right now are -

1. What sort of lighting should i rig up and how long should it be on for?
2. What temp should i keep her house at?
3. Does she need a heat mat?
4. i've learned what i should be feeding her but can i cut out the dog food instantly or should i wean her off it?
5. how good a climbers are they, could she climb over a loose 6 inch breeze block and more importantly could she pull it over on herself?
6. Most of my garden is flat lawn, what can i do to make it more interestin?

ok that should keep me busy for now as she isn't arriving untill the beggining of july.
Thanks guys!! xx

kezdoc09

5 Year Member
ha i knew that would be the next question? this is the problem we are not sure at the moment my friend thinks its a yellow footed tortoise but her nan can't remember without finding the paperwork so she is searchin! i will let u know asap! also i live in devon, england so not many hot days here!

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
kezdoc, the easiest way to tell would be to post a couple photos. i'm sure someone would have an answer for you within 5 minutes or so!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
First to answer your questions:
1. Depends on what species you have. Generally 12 hours a day for most species.
2. Depends upon species, but you'll likely need a thermal gradient so the tortoise can move around and regulate its own temp. Generally, you'll need a small spot directly under the light of around 100 degrees F. That side of the enclosure should stay around 80ish and the cooler, other side, away form the light should stay 70-75ish. Night temps of 70 are fine for most species. All of this may be thrown right out the window depending upon what species you have.
3. Probably not unless you are housing her outside and have a "dog house" style set-up for her.
4. Whenever I get a new animal, I usually just start feeding it what it should be eating.
5. They can be very good climbers. I have no idea what a breeze block is, but if you have to ask, the answer is probably yes she can get over it and or pull it over on herself. Generally you want the height of the enclosure walls to be around double the length of the tortoise. The corners ought to be capped and there should be no footholds either.
6. Add logs rocks, hiding places and plant bushes, shrubs, or trees. Check the enclosures section here on the forum for tons of ideas. There are lots of lists around for edible plants around to choose from.

Now my questions to you:
1. Where in the world are you?
2. What species of tortoise are we talking about?

Welcome to the forum. Please ask lots and lots of questions and congrats on your new tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi kezdoc09:

I won't venture a guess at your questions without more information or pictures, but I wanted to welcome you to the forum!! We love helping new folks learn the correct ways to care for their tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.