Newbie Hermann Mommy here!!!

Lisanne Allen

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
IMG_5594.JPG IMG_5597.JPG IMG_5601.JPG
hello all! I am Lisanne and live in Indianapolis Indiana. My son begged for a turtle so I did my homework and decided a Hermann would be the ideal fit for our family. We went to the local reptile show in march and looked at all our options and returned August 26th to purchase our little guy once we were ready for him. We have built him a tortoise table and also made a smaller cage with the remaining wood so my son could carry him around the house and take him outdoors without having to constantly hold him and me worrying about where the little guy is!! So far he seems to be doing fantastic and is eating great! So far he only eats dandelion greens and romain, that's what the guy we bought him from said he could eat this little. I do have a couple questions I wish I had asked the breeder! #1 I have no idea how old our little guy is!!! So when I look into diet and when to add different greens I am not sure where to start. #2 he hides at night under his wooden arch and buries in the dirt, is he cold? Or is this just habit? The breeder said I didn't need a night light for him that they just make a den but I want to be sure because everything I read makes it so clear temp is sooo important. We also have lizards and frogs and they have the night light! #3 since the cage is wooden I can't use a heating pad like we do for the lizards! How do you guys help heat your little guys? We have the basking lamp and a nice flat rock for him! I just want to be sure that's enough! #4 he told Me not to put water in there for him so we are soaking him daily and I give him water using a syringe while we feed him so he has a drink...he loves it! Is that enough? And when are they big enough to have very shallow water to drink? Thanks guys!!!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Lisanne, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum. :)
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
Depends on your night time temperatures.
A drop at night is fine for this species, but if it gets too cold a CHE, (ceramic heat emitter) connected to a thermostat may be useful, they don't sleep properly with light .