Newbie here :)

Kezzaleather

Location (City and/or State)
bristol
Hi guys.

So I just wanted to post some pics of my horsefields house to make sure it seems ok. I live in the UK and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Weve had him just under 2 weeks now and the last couple of days he's not ate much (previously was eating well) so before I go to the vets just wondered if it was anything I could fix. I've lowered his heat lamp down so its a bit hotter, just checked the temp and its 28 degrees in the basking area.

Attachments

• 20201019_130722.jpg
    20201019_130722.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
  • 20201019_130730.jpg
    20201019_130730.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
How old/big is your tortoise? Hatchling, juvenile, adult?

I think he's not eating because he's too cold.

His basking area should be 37-38°C. The coldest spot in the enclosure should never fall below 27°C. At the same time, the humidity in the enclosure should never fall below 80%, day or night. What kind of bulbs are in the domes?

You will find it impossible to achieve and maintain those levels in an open topped enclosure.

There are several methods of getting a closed chamber. Read these 3 threads and you will understand much better. Then come back with questions and concerns, and we can talk about them.

This is our care sheet:

This is a post I wrote a while back on closed chambers:

This is a current thread. The OP is right now going through what you need to do. Upgrade your enclosure.

Kezzaleather

bristol
How old/big is your tortoise? Hatchling, juvenile, adult?

I think he's not eating because he's too cold.

His basking area should be 37-38°C. The coldest spot in the enclosure should never fall below 27°C. At the same time, the humidity in the enclosure should never fall below 80%, day or night. What kind of bulbs are in the domes?

You will find it impossible to achieve and maintain those levels in an open topped enclosure.

There are several methods of getting a closed chamber. Read these 3 threads and you will understand much better. Then come back with questions and concerns, and we can talk about them.

This is our care sheet:

This is a post I wrote a while back on closed chambers:

This is a current thread. The OP is right now going through what you need to do. Upgrade your enclosure.

Hes 4 years old and roughly hand sized.

I picked some dandelion leafs for him this afternoon and he ate quite a bit of those :)

I thought the overhead temp for horsefield tortoise had to be between 29 - 32 degrees?

I will read over the threads you posted thank you.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hes 4 years old and roughly hand sized.

I picked some dandelion leafs for him this afternoon and he ate quite a bit of those :)

I thought the overhead temp for horsefield tortoise had to be between 29 - 32 degrees?

I will read over the threads you posted thank you.

For some reason I thought he was younger.
Since he is a young adult his temps can be lowered. Proper temps are in the care sheet, the first link I posted.

I'm so glad to hear he's eating something!