Newbie here..! This is my story!

NewGirlMandy

image.jpeg image.jpeg Hello everyone! My name is Mandy. I work at a pet shop and yesterday someone brought in a little sulcata in a coffee tin and left it because he said he didn't want it. It is 5 months old.
As I said this only happened yesterday so I have it in a plastic tub in my bedroom right now until I can figure out something more permenante.
I'm very nervous because this was sudden for me and I've never raised this kind of animal before but I'm doing to best I can on such short notice.
Tonight when I go to work I will be getting a heating bulb to go over the tank. Right now I only have a simple desk light over it. And I'll be getting a thermometer and hygrometer. So I can adjust the heat and humid levels as nessecary.
As for UV lighting I live in California so I am able to take it outside for at least 20 minutes or longer everyday (under supervision of course) without fear of it getting too cold.
I'm feeding it spring mix, I will also be getting calcium powder tonight to sprinkle on its food.
I haven't seen it eat yet. And it isn't moving much. I'm assuming it's nervous because it's in a new place and also it may be too cold (I'm getting the heat lamp tonight) as the desk lamp generates a minimal amount of heat. Also the fact that it's a baby and in sure they sleep a lot naturally. I have it in my closet in an open tub so it stays a more even temperature and it's free of drafts but still able to get fresh air. Like I said I know this isn't ideal but I'm doing the best I can please don't leave me negative comments if I didn't take it it would have died in the coffee tin because the guy literally set it down and walked out of the store and just ditched the poor thing.
I'm aware they grow very large. I have a huge backyard for when it gets big enough to be outside.
And I've been reading all day about them. I know they need to be bathed twice a week. Is there anything else that is very obvious that I am missing?
Any questions or comments or help would be much appreciated, thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

legan52

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
They actually need a bath daily, not twice a week! It's great that you're taking on this responsibility and reaching out for advice! There's tons of knowledgeable people on here who can help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tonight when I go to work I will be getting a heating bulb to go over the tank. Right now I only have a simple desk light over it. And I'll be getting a thermometer and hygrometer. So I can adjust the heat and humid levels as nessecary.
As for UV lighting I live in California so I am able to take it outside for at least 20 minutes or longer everyday (under supervision of course) without fear of it getting too cold.

These are the two types of lights I use (in different situations, not at the same time):

mercury vapor bulb.jpg T-5 fluorescent bulb.jpg

I like the Mercury Vapor Bulb (the Powersun) because it provides heat and UVB in the same fixture. If you use the Reptisun, it only provides UVB and you still need heat in another fixture.

I'm feeding it spring mix, I will also be getting calcium powder tonight to sprinkle on its food.
I haven't seen it eat yet. And it isn't moving much. I'm assuming it's nervous because it's in a new place and also it may be too cold (I'm getting the heat lamp tonight) as the desk lamp generates a minimal amount of heat. Also the fact that it's a baby and in sure they sleep a lot naturally. I have it in my closet in an open tub so it stays a more even temperature and it's free of drafts but still able to get fresh air. Like I said I know this isn't ideal but I'm doing the best I can please don't leave me negative comments if I didn't take it it would have died in the coffee tin because the guy literally set it down and walked out of the store and just ditched the poor thing.
I'm aware they grow very large. I have a huge backyard for when it gets big enough to be outside.

Spring mix is ok, but doesn't give the baby much fiber. You can also add to the Spring mix anything from this list:

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes
Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

You don't have to feed everything on the list, but don't get stuck with just using one or two of the items. Variety is key to sulcata health.

And I've been reading all day about them. I know they need to be bathed twice a week. Is there anything else that is very obvious that I am missing?
Any questions or comments or help would be much appreciated, thank you!

Baby tortoises need to be soaked daily for about 15 minutes. Here are a couple good threads for you to read:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Glad to have you here with us. Enjoy your journey!

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Hello and welcome @NewGirlMandy!

First things first, if that is potting soil with perlite in your tub, get your tortoise out ASAP. If the little guys eats that, it could be fatal.

Best recommendation is organic orchid bark, Zilla Jungle Mix, coconut choir, or Zoomed Eco Earth. Maybe your pet shop carries one of those? if not any online retailer or big box pet store should have one of the options.

Yvonne gave you the best rundown. Congratulations on your new friend and glad you found this forum! it will make you and your tortoise happy and healthy.

M

Maggie Cummings

Welcome Mandy, stick him in some warm water right now and that will help bring up his temperature. Take him out of the closet. Make sure he has 12 hours of light daily. And if you think you're having trouble getting the temp up, close the top off with aluminum foil.....welcome

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome Mandy, stick him in some warm water right now and that will help bring up his temperature. Take him out of the closet. Make sure he has 12 hours of light daily. And if you think you're having trouble getting the temp up, close the top off with aluminum foil.....welcome

I think the closet is ok, Maggie. She has light in there and it keeps the cooler air from the house out of the habitat.

NewGirlMandy

Thank you all so so much I'm learning a lot just by being here. It's very important to me that this baby is taken care of properly so I want to make sure I'm doing everything right.
A quick update: I have a heating bulb over the little one and a temp/humid gauge so I can begin to tweak and make sure it is humid and warm enough for him.
As for the daily baths I had no idea! But I will start right away and soak him before I go to work.
I still have him the soil. I got it from my parents they don't treat with pesticides or anything but I'm not sure if it's potting mix but I will switch it out tonight. Thank you for letting me know.

Mortis_thetortoise

west central Florida
my brothers friend recently got a baby sulcata,, she works at a petshop and got a baby under the some what same conditions her name is maranda small world ! good luck !

digital temp and humidity gauges are best