Newbie Here! Needing Identification & Advice

Aly.barbour99

Location (City and/or State)
Greenwood
received_219799393241821.jpeghi! I'm getting this little guy in 6 days and the current owner doesnt know what species he is. I'd like to know asap so that I can properly prepare for his arrival. He is very small and will stay small due to a birth defect. I'd like to know what everyone thinks! Thank you !

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
View attachment 324366hi! I'm getting this little guy in 6 days and the current owner doesnt know what species he is. I'd like to know asap so that I can properly prepare for his arrival. He is very small and will stay small due to a birth defect. I'd like to know what everyone thinks! Thank you !
Its a box turtle and it looks extremely thin.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's a very dry and thin Eastern box turtle ( Terrapene carolina carolina). It looks like his eye is stuck shut, but a more humid environment and a good soak in warm water will fix that. Get rid of the sand and either set him up outside or use a subtrate you can moisten. The sand may be why his eye looks like that.

Aly.barbour99

Greenwood
It's a very dry and thin Eastern box turtle ( Terrapene carolina carolina). It looks like his eye is stuck shut, but a more humid environment and a good soak in warm water will fix that. Get rid of the sand and either set him up outside or use a subtrate you can moisten. The sand may be why his eye looks like that.
Would an organic potting soil be best? Thank u for your input!

Alethea111

Joplin
He looks like an ornate box turtle! However he does look dehydrated so give him a water bowl and a nice cozy soak! Also I’d suggest coconut fiber as the bedding, NO SAND though I’ve had horrid experiences with sand

Alethea111

Joplin
He looks like an ornate box turtle! However he does look dehydrated so give him a water bowl and a nice cozy soak! Also I’d suggest coconut fiber as the bedding, NO SAND though I’ve had horrid experiences with sand
I’d also fatten him up with some nice juicy and fat earth worms they love those

Aly.barbour99

Greenwood
Would anyone have a suggestion regarding food? Hes eating bearded dragon kibble but obviously I dont think its giving him proper nutrition. what's the best pellet food? I'll be feeding worms, veggies, etc, but what about pellets?

Alethea111

Joplin
Would anyone have a suggestion regarding food? Hes eating bearded dragon kibble but obviously I dont think its giving him proper nutrition. what's the best pellet food? I'll be feeding worms, veggies, etc, but what about pellets?
I’d suggest Mazuri turtle/tortoise diet! It super good for them and ours love it

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
For box turtle commercial food I like Omega One Adult Turtle Sticks, Mazuri Aquatic Turtle Food, Mazuri Small Crocodilian Chow and Hikari Saki Turtle Food. Most turtles like the Omega One best but it is also the most expensive. I use Omega One to initially get turtles to accept pellets and then blend in some of the other brands to get them to accept some of the less expensive food. I also like that the turtles are getting a variety of pellets to round out their nutritional intake in addition to the whole and live foods.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
I agree with the Eastern Box turtle. Food suggestions already given are good, they like strawberries too if they are fussy. Worms are great. Good luck with the little guy.

m irwin

Dallas
Agree that this is a skinny looking and dried out Eastern - it's definitely NOT an Ornate. Also agree - get rid of the sand - way to dry. Provide a wet substrate he/she can dig into and stay humid/moist. Feed it worms (get from Wal-Mart or any bait and tackle place but make sure they are not dyed funky colors like green or yellow as some are to appeal to fish - a fish story...). Then introduce Romaine lettuce, and red fruits like strawberries. Offer up Cantaelope and red and yellow bell peppers. Also the pellets mentioned above. While box turtles relish live worms, they can get where they want them to the near exclusion of other things, and they will not get nearly enough Vitamin A and/or Beta Carotene and then you get into vitamin A issues. Cantaloupe is easily found at grocery stores and has some of the highest Vitamin A content of any fruit. My box turtles love it! You mentioned a birth defect but I don't see anything but a poorly cared for animal that needs you help!