Newbie from Minnesota

Reed Thoma

Location (City and/or State)
Savage, MN
Hi all,
My Name is Reed Thoma and I am from Minnesota. I currently do not raise any tortoises but I raise crested geckos and fowl (chickens, quail, and pheasants). I have always had an interest in all animals but in the last couple months I have found a new interest and that's tortoises. I have been inspired by Kamp Kenan, Garden State Tortoise, Florida Iguana and tortoise breeders, and Jerry Fife. I am going of to college soon so I won't be getting a tortoise any time soon but I will spend much of my time researching them. I love leopards, burmese mountains, and I especially love galops and aldabras. My ultimate goal is to raise either galops or aldabras in MN. And before people question me, I will not be doing this anytime soon and I will make sure to get a proper long-term setup before I decide to get any species of tortoise if that is a leopard or Galop. I would love to hear from other northern tortoise keepers, but thanks for letting me join the forum.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Welcome, and make sure you major in some subject that will bring in a nice yearly income! Raising large, hot climate torts in a cold state like Minnesota will take lots of space, lots of money! Good luck!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
A yard in Southern in Florida is way different from anything you have way up north. Preparation and planning is critical for you. I live in Virginia and am bale to so 6 months inside and 6 months outside! We are here for any and all questions. BTW

Attachments

• IMG_2369.jpeg
    IMG_2369.jpeg
    775.8 KB · Views: 4

Reed Thoma

Savage, MN
A yard in Southern in Florida is way different from anything you have way up north. Preparation and planning is critical for you. I live in Virginia and am bale to so 6 months inside and 6 months outside! We are here for any and all questions. BTW
Thank you very much! I know taking care of a giant tortoise will be harder up here, I will spend many years studying and preparing. I will for sure be asking questions.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
All the best to you with college and your future plans for keeping tortoises. Stay in touch.

xphare

Denver
Love the shirt!