Newbie from Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychedChicken

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Carrabelle, Fl
Hello Tortoise People! :tort:

I posted a very similar post under enclosure, except with more questions. But heres some information on me!

I had a sulcatta years ago. He was a happy healthy little guy too. We bought him as a hatchling and were raising him up, had him for a couple (almost 3) years. He had a nice outside enclosure to road around in, however a neighborhood dog found its way in and killed the poor little guy.

My husband and I have wanted another ever sense. Now we are living on 40acres out in the middle of nowhere (our closest neighbor is 1/4 mile away). We have been putting a lot of consideration into it and decided to get another Sulcata (2 actually). However we are not wanting to go the petstore route, due to the fact that there are so many big guys out there who do not have homes, and we are some of the few with room to house them comfortably.
I have done endless research and we've mostly built their outdoor enclosure. The two guys we are wanting to get are both around 70lbs and have been together most of their lives.

I am trying to figure out the best way to do it hide box. My husband is willing to do some building.... We live in North Florida, so the cold will only be an issue for a couple months of the year.
We are planning to make the top hinge up for easy cleaning. But any tips or pointers would be GREATLY appreciated.
They are going to have a large enclosed yard to roam around when we arent home, and will be allowed out of that enclosure when were outside to watch them. We spend a LOT of time outside. We have no internet/cable and their is nothing to do in our little town.

Looking forward to having some more tortoises in my life. :)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum, can't wait to see the two Sulcata's when you get them..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi PsychedChicken:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name?

I'm glad that you're "psyched" about getting your new tortoises. I'd love to see their pictures when they arrive.

All you really need will be an insulated shed with a door that you can close tightly. On the occasion when it gets too cold at night, you probably will only need a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) or red spot light for heat. It would be a good idea to have a floor in the shed because they dig to China. But, on the other hand, if they DO dig a burrow inside the shed, that will solve the cold night problem,

PsychedChicken

5 Year Member
Carrabelle, Fl
FranklinAndTara said:
Welcome! Lots of Floridians like Tortoises!
^ I think its because the care is a lot simpler when they can just roam outside most of the year. :)

emysemys said:
Hi PsychedChicken:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name?

I'm glad that you're "psyched" about getting your new tortoises. I'd love to see their pictures when they arrive.

My name is Kasey. :)

There will be LOTS of pictures Im sure!!

CJSTorts

5 Year Member
Jacksonville,FL
Welcome to the forum. Very glad to hear you have done your research first! Can't wait to see pics! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.