Newbie from coastal southern California!

Status
Not open for further replies.

natureguy

5 Year Member
Hi! Newbie from coastal Southern Calif.

I have an adult female Three-toed Box Turtle that I adopted recently. At first I thought it might be a Gulf Coast Box but checked the hind feet... three claws was a dead give-away!

At first was a very finicky eater even though had previously been in captivity for a while already. Since keeping it out-of-doors near the coast apparently does not get warm enough on a daily basis for her. She was extremely timid and unresponsive to anything but "moving" food. May be that is why she was given up by previous owner.

What has worked!:
1)Taking steps to cover the large tub (outside) on cool nights.
2)Using a 1X12" board appropriately placed for shade on hot days.
3)Made a tiny "house of clay bricks (both 1/2 and full bricks) that she could pass through from either end and be fully covered.
4)Keeping a large container of shallow water helped as when the evening cools I find her in the still warm water. (Important to change water in AM for this reason). Hot days changing water mid-day so has place to cool off.
5)Also believe it or not hand feeding her live insects (when warmed up) has stimulated her so that when I am present and reaching down she moves toward my hand rather than being frightened as before. In the beginning I would drop active live food on her "tray". Then progressed to hovering my hand with wiggling insect or worm over her feeding "tray" so that SHE would approach.

Now she is actually quite assertive so that now she readily takes prepared food in her tray that she did not before. I place the food and move my hand which stimulates her!
Feed wetted Box turtle pellets mixed with fresh fruit and some leafy material plus fresh chopped snails.
Snails (with shells removed), roaches, and blueberries are favorites. Roaches that I use I raise myself (extremely easy and CLEAN). Some of the plants and berries, Snails, worms, and other insects are from an environmentally friendly wild-life garden.

Not what I planned for:
But now that I have full responsibility for this little beauty my next "mission" is to find a mate for her and raise a little family! I was shocked to find that it could cost me $120.00 or even more to do this!!!

How about a STUD for hire?!!!

Michael :rolleyes::tort:_ _ _ :tort:_ _ _ :tort:_ _ _

natureguy

5 Year Member
Hi! wellington...(Do you ever get called "The Duke")
OK...probably a bad joke!
Thanks for the welcome!
What part of Chicago are you from?
I was born in Hebron, IL (just south of Lake Geneva, WI). Spent most of my childhood in Northern IL (some in so. CA) Graduated from HS in Rockford, IL After that moved around quite a bit and ended up in San Diego in 1982.
I am very familiar with the flora and fauna of No IL! Closest thing to a "tortoise" where I lived was the Blandings turtle which is not that different from a Box turtle except being more aquatic and capable of closing only the front part of the plastron.
Are you interested in other herps as well?
Michael:shy:
wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:)

natureguy

5 Year Member
Hi Kelly Hull!:)
Thanks for taking a moment to welcome me!
Don't you think I did good adopting this box turtle? I did not tell the whole story. I will try to be brief as it is part of a pretty involved situation concerning this and other tortoises.

Anyway I used to work at a local nursery here in San Diego. They sometimes took in animals when people couldn't care for them. However the condiditions there were not so good...(that is another story). The nursery recieved the BT in question and immediately put in a pen with larger tortoises. Inspite of my objections from the start and of course she escaped. She was eventually found and immediately put back in the same pen. Supposedly made turtle proof (to which I objected as was very slip-shod) Of course she escaped again.

It was a very long time before she was found again (I dreaded she had become road-kill by then) I was nearby when a fellow employee found her!!! I immediately took her and had this employee's promise not to tell anyone. So here she is and what a happy camper she is!

It may be that you have heard similar stories in your organization? You are welcome to this story if you ever find an educational use for it! When you do you might like to hear the other details. It would be a story about those with good will but not the knowledge or the facility to
do the right thing for a group of tortoises and turtles!
Thanks,
Michael :tort:_ _ _
tortadise said:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
natureguy said:
Thanks for the welcome!
I was born in Hebron, IL (just south of Lake Geneva, WI). Spent most of my childhood in Northern IL (some in so. CA) Graduated from HS in Rockford, IL After that moved around quite a bit and ended up in San Diego in 1982.
I am very familiar with the flora and fauna of No IL! Closest thing to a "tortoise" where I lived was the Blandings turtle which is not that different from a Box turtle except being more aquatic and capable of closing only the front part of the plastron.
wellington said:

No, I don't get called the Duke, sorry, I don't get the joke:D My real name is Barb, far from the Duke, which if you were referring to John Wayne, one of my faveorites. I'm in Chicago, north side, Wrigleville. I love all reptiles, well all animals too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Oh, Barb, Barb, Barb....Silly girl!!! Duke Wellington. But then, maybe you're too young to have heard of him.

Hi Michael, and welcome to the Forum! Sounds like you're going to fit right in here.

natureguy

5 Year Member
wellington said:
natureguy said:
Thanks for the welcome!
wellington said:

No, I don't get called the Duke, sorry, I don't get the joke:D My real name is Barb, far from the Duke, which if you were referring to John Wayne, one of my faveorites. I'm in Chicago, north side, Wrigleville. I love all reptiles, well all animals too.

OK Barb-not-the-Duke-of-Wellington! I appologize! Don't forget the Duke of Earl! "Duke, duke, duke, Duke of Earl...."

Well anyway you certainly could be a Duke by todays standards! Look- we almost had a woman president... so no need to lower your standards to see yourself as so "far from the Duke"!

I love all reptiles, amphibians, and well just about most of what Nature births! You know being around other animals in a whole environment of sites, sounds, and smells... people think I am crazy when touring through the countryside... passing an active family-owned Dairy farm (not the toxic Dairies where we get most of our milk) I inhale deeply the cool, moist night air wafted away on my pleasant memories.

Barb, Its no wonder you like reptiles since you live in Wrigleville!!! :rolleyes:

Like to know what herps (and other critters) you have!

Later,
Michael ;) :tort:_ _ _:tort:_ _ _

Yvonne G said:
Oh, Barb, Barb, Barb....Silly girl!!! Duke Wellington. But then, maybe you're too young to have heard of him.

Hi Michael, and welcome to the Forum! Sounds like you're going to fit right in here.

Hey Yvonne... take it easy with this age thing! It is nice to have old things around... like Tortoises that will probably outlive us!

I didn't think anyone would pick up on this Duke thing! Thanks!

Your flower-child tortoise must have a few years on her. Like her floral blouse and her electric bell-bottom jeans! Here's to Flower Power and tortoises that will keep on truckin'!

Michael :shy: :tort:_ _ _:tort:_ _ _:tort:_ _ _

Status
Not open for further replies.