Newbie concerned (sleeps in the open, black around mouth)

thegravelanche

So i have had my sulcata for a bit over a week and i really want to say it's going well but of course i dont have a ton to compare it to. I am keeping the water fresh, the humidity above 50% and have adjusted his diet to include 50% grass which he takes happily as long as it is mixed with fresh veggies. (dandelion, kale and a bit of shreded carrot as filler)

Temps are looking good with a hot spot about 1/4 the size of his tank hovering at about 90-95 depending on ambient, and the ambient is about 75 most of the day.

His tank is not quite as large as i would like so i take him out for extra exercise daily, letting him explore around on my desk and giving him some food to munch on while he is out, i work from home so he explores as i work.

Overall he seems to be active, alert, eating and pooping just fine. There are 2 things that concern me which may be nothing. he has VERY black lips, look to be stained or something, didnt wash off in the bath either. they dont really look damaged per say but the black makes me worry because i work with reptiles where mouth rot can be a concern.

Second he has 2 hides with great cover, but more often than anything i see him sleeping or just sitting out in the open, are they a less shy species than other reptiles? seems like he digs down a tiny bit in the substrate sometimes and just chills there, arms and legs splayed out a bit, but is still alert when i get close.

Please aleviate the newbies fears :D

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
RE: Newbie concerned, might be nothing

Legs splayed out is usally the warm tortoise pose & nothing to worry about. Not sure about the mouth but could be staining from greens. What type of tort?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

The dark mouth is usually food staining or eating poop staining. If this is a young sully, under two, you need to bump up the humidity to 80 and temps no lower then 80.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Ahh... the dreaded Black Mouth Disease, or BMD...

HA! Just funnin! Totally normal, nothing to worry about.

Even though your sulcata is older, he is still small and has a lot of growing to do. I would keep ambient warmer and humidity higher. If you don't he will likely pyramid when he finally starts growing. At least offer a warm humid hide.

By the time they hit 3 years old most sulcatas are not afraid of anything and are very comfortable with the world. This is one reason for their popularity. It sounds like yours is just very relaxed and un-afraid. No reason to hide from predators or bullys when you feel comfortable and un-afraid in your environment.

I wouldn't feed carrot too often. No more than once a week in small quantities would be my preference.

Great news on the grass eating. That is so good for them, and many people have a tough time getting them to eat it. Nice job! :)

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I have five and not a single one of them used the hide for the first three or four months. They splayed out where ever they fell when the timer went off, lol. Now, after 10 months, they all crowd into the hide together about an hour before the lights go off. I have one that sometimes digs into the dirt in the corner at lights out but he is always in the hide when I go check on them in the night or if I wake up before the lights come on at 6:15.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Wow, totaly missed the "sulcata" in your post :) he is probably parked out under the light to stay warm. Try bumping the heat up to at least 80 to 85 overall. Bet he moves about more. Read Toms care sheets under his sig if you haven't, big help for correct temp, humitity, and diet.

thegravelanche

Thanks guys, they are so different from any other reptile it's nerve racking, these same signs in my skinks would send me panicking to the vet lol

I am trying to keep humidity higher but it is tough with this table, he is most likely going to be getting a new one early june, i was expecting one that was 3 months old, either i miss read it or it was a typo in the add, either way i want to get him up to something more like 4x8. Also thinking of making it a double decker table setup to get some golden greeks too. im already hooked.

Also it tends to be very humid here in the summer so i should have much less trouble keeping it up soon