Newbie advice please!

Sara G.

Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
It looks like you've got a red light bulb in there. Those can really bug out a torts world. A CHE (ceramic heat emitter) is better because it produces heat but no light.
Are you using an MVB? as the other light?

The enclosure looks beautiful! I'm very impressed. Feel free to plant loads of plants all over, they'll break up sight barriers and give your adorable little tort more things to munch on. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ooh one thing - he has been eating some of the topsoil - I'm assuming (and praying!!) this is ok?

It looks like the light closest to us in the picture might be a red bulb??? If this is the case, some tortoises have trouble discerning food from substrate in the red light. Using a red light at night, when the tortoise is asleep, is ok, but you shouldn't use it during the day.

Nicky Wilson

Welcome to the forum! I'm new on here too but had my Henry for a year now. I definitely feel your pain. We've only just got it right 12 months in and still learning!

I'm in Yorkshire :)

One thing I would say is do not ask pet shops for advice. Although there are a handful of pet shops that know their stuff, unfortunately most do not and often give incorrect advice. I always get advice from forums (such as this) and research online.

I agree with what the others have said about substrate too.

Also it is so tempting to feed lovely fresh fruit and vegetables from the supermarket and they do love them but unfortunately this is bad for them. Feed as many weeds as possible and DO YOUR RESEARCH about what are good and bad weeds/plants to feed.

Good luck, you'll love being a tort owner :)

Gembolina

Hi all, once again thanks for all your advice, it's so helpful! I have ordered a ceramic heat emitter today, should I replace the red bulb completely when it arrives? The other bulb is a UVB 100w.. Just the plexi glass to get and we should be half way there. He's not eaten much at all so far today and hasn't moved an awful lot. I'm currently at swim my lessons with my daughter so will see how he is when I get home and bath him again.

Gembolina

The UVB bulb isn't a cool bulb right?

Hi Sara, It's not hot to touch no... I do have a question about the plants in his enclosure.. If for example they had been grown in something like Miracle Gro would it matter? I made sure there was barely any soil left on the roots and placed straight in to the top soil.. I'm so worried about him.. He still hasn't been to the toilet...

Gembolina

Hi Sara, It's not hot to touch no... I do have a question about the plants in his enclosure.. If for example they had been grown in something like Miracle Gro would it matter? I made sure there was barely any soil left on the roots and placed straight in to the top soil.. I'm so worried about him.. He still hasn't been to the toilet...
@Sara G.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
For plants you want them to be chemical and pesticide free before planting them in the enclosure.
I'm not sure how fertilizers would effect them.
@Tom might know more.

Gembolina

Compact coil bulbs cause eye problems in torts. Switch it off and replace with a tube UVB or get an MVB which can also replace your basking lamp.

What's a MVB? I have 2 lamps, I'm awaiting the ceramic to be delivered..

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
What's a MVB? I have 2 lamps, I'm awaiting the ceramic to be delivered..
MVB is a Mercury Vapor Bulb. It combines the basking and UVB in a single bulb. It needs a ceramic lamp holder.

The alternative to MVB is two bulbs - a plain reflector basking lamp (sometimes marketed as UVA - which is nonsense) and a UVB Tube lamp used together.

The CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) is for supplementary heat and should be connected to a thermostat.

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
@EmmaG
Its safest to use a ceramic lamp holder as the bulbs get very hot. Same with a HE. Can melt a plastic fixture.