Newbe looking for advice

Printerfixer

Location (City and/or State)
Centerville
I pulled a tortoise out of the floodwaters here in Centerville over the weekend. He seems to be recovering ok from the trauma but his shell looks to be broken on the underside. Firstly, I’m looking for a local vet that someone can recommend. Secondly I’d like to adopt it but I’m not sure what the rules are in Tennessee about keeping wildlife. Your input is appreciated.F6CA5563-B641-4F43-AAB9-3EBFD8B07C3E.jpeg

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
What you have is an Eastern Box Turtle. I believe they are illegal to take from the wild in TN.

Can you post a photo of the bottom of the shell showing the broken part? This species has a hinge on the bottom, which could perhaps look like a broken section at first glance.

If nothing ends up being wrong, the only thing to do is release it near where you found it.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
That's an Eastern Box Turtle.

Post photos of the plastron (bottom shell) for opinions...box turtles have a hinged plastron that allows the shell to close completely.

Box turtle populations are in decline in Tennessee...if she is uninjured, she should be returned to the wild. Contact the wildlife department for specific legal information:

lol *buys @TeamZissou a c*ke!*

Printerfixer

Centerville
What you have is an Eastern Box Turtle. I believe they are illegal to take from the wild in TN.

Can you post a photo of the bottom of the shell showing the broken part? This species has a hinge on the bottom, which could perhaps look like a broken section at first glance.

If nothing ends up being wrong, the only thing to do is release it near where you found it.