New...worried about Russian ...pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sara J

5 Year Member
Hey all, I'm brand new to the site, so please forgive me if I'm jumping the gun by jumping right into a post in possibly the wrong place, but I'm looking for some possible advice from experienced keepers. I've had my first Russian Tortoise, Ceaser, now just about a month. Got her from Petco. She was doing well for the first two weeks almost, eating fine, active, couldn't have acted healthier. Then she started having trouble with her left eye, she was keeping it closed and rubbing at it. I thought of maybe dehydration, so I started giving her daily soaks, but a few days later she started not eating. So off to the vet it was, I didn't want to take any chances.
The vet didn't seem to like the looks of her a whole lot. They pried her poor mouth open, obv with some difficulty, and I felt so bad for her. A part (layer?) of her jaw actually fell off, the vet said due to a bad calcium deficiency. Due to the color of her tongue I guess the vet also said there was a good chance she had reptile herpes. The vet sent me home with the following instructions/meds: an injection of ceftazidime (an anitbiotic) once every three days, 0.5 mL of acyclovir (an antiviral) once a day by mouth, 0.3 mL of calcium gluconate suspension once a day (for a week, then cut back to twice weekly) by mouth, have to start force feeding if she doesn't eat, up the temps in her enclosure, keep up the daily soakings, flush her eyes with saline, and get cod liver oil in her twice a week for the vitamin A. I have been doing the best I can. Obviously, it's very challenging to pry her poor sore mouth open every day, very stressful to both of us but I will do what has to be done if it helps.
She is currently in about a 30 gallon tank, I know tanks are not recommended but I need something to keep cats out and I figured it would be ok to at least start her out in. I am looking at other options, like building something, but I want to make sure I get the dimensions right before I put the work into it.
I was using only the coconut coir substrate, but after doing some reading, figured that might be too dry by itself and contributing to the eye issue, so I changed the entire tank last night and mixed 50% sand into the fresh coir to try to help keep it moist. The humidity is currently about 65.
Temps: I did originally only have a 75 watt basking bulb and was attaining temps of about 75 on the warm end and 60 on the low end. Since the vet visit, I shot up to a 150 watt daytime bulb and have been getting warm temps of about 90 and low temps of about 70. Also got a red 100 watt nighttime bulb, which keep the temps about what they were on the original 75 watt.
UV: I have a hood style flourescent bulb, ReptiSun 5.0. After some more reading, I think I have to get a 10.0, but I know not to get the compact style due to possible eye damage.
Anybody that has read this far and can give me any advice, I highly appreciate it. I'm nervous about forcing liquid into her, we have both made it almost a week now of doing it every day (vet was last Tuesday) but obv it's tough on both of us. And no signs of wanting to eat. I don't know at this point if I should concentrate on changing her environment totally, or just try to implement smaller changes, like the UV bulb (I am also working on very limited funds for right now). I'm worried about her...

Sara J

5 Year Member
New...worried about Russian con't...pics...

So dummy me forgot to add pics! Here's poor little Ceaser...she has also been having trouble with her left as well....:(

Attachments

• phpd1hr4oPM.jpg
    phpd1hr4oPM.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 71
  • phpIcWvvCPM.jpg
    phpIcWvvCPM.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 51
  • phpzLhGn9PM.jpg
    phpzLhGn9PM.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 61
  • phpv26TS9PM.jpg
    phpv26TS9PM.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 55

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: New...worried about Russian con't...pics...

Hi Sara:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know where you are?

It sounds like you have a pretty good vet. Usually the first thing they want to do is give a vitamin A injection (a no-no), but your vet asked you to get the Vit A in via the cod liver oil.

Your little tortoise looks to me like he's swollen all over. His front legs seem to be retaining fluid as well as the rest of the body. Have you seen him poop or pee?

Just keep following your vet's instructions. The only change I'd make would be to get the light closer to the substrate so the temp directly under it is 100+ degrees.

Grigor.Love.

5 Year Member
NY

Oh poor Ceaser. I have a Russian as well. It was a good decision that you went to the vet right off. It sounds like you're having a real tough time. Just keep your chin up and do what you can. A rubbermaid tub is a cheap great enclosure just as a suggestion. Make sure it's big enough though. That is if you can't build anything at this point. I know funds are tight these days (I know they are for me as well). Take care!

pdrobber

10 Year Member!

welcome. good luck with your new one.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV

Hello and welcome to the forum, I am sure you will get all the help needed here, good luck with your new tortoise...

Sara J

5 Year Member

Thank you for the welcome and the advice already everybody :) I'm in western New York, Buffalo area, so yeah, we have about five months of nice weather and the rest of the time we have a hard enough time keeping us humans warm lol.
Emysemys- yes, I had noticed the swelling as well. She did poop on the way to the vet's on Tuesday, fairly loose but since then nothing. I believe it was the day after in her soak she expelled some urates. Unless there's been something in the tank I haven't noticed, and she hasn't been doing anything really, there has been nothing else. Is that abnormal for movements? Also with her not eating in a week and two days now probably not much in there...
As far as moving the lamp closer, that's gonna be tough if I don't want the cats in the tank with her...the lamp is on top of a screen that keeps them out. And I'm scared of making it TOO warm in there, esp with it not being very big and the chance of warming up the cool end too much.

Sara J

5 Year Member

Oh, and also, wanted to ask, would baby food soaks which I've read about a lot on here be able to help with nutrition/vitamin A/calcium intake? Rather than cramming much more down her poor throat :/

Status
Not open for further replies.