new with questions about Red Foot Torts

dan0327

Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Florida
I have just received 2 RF Torts. I am a first time owner. I believe I have a 3yr old female (5.5 in 14cm) and 2yr old male (5in 13cm), sex based on previous owner given names. I probably have to wait until they are larger to determine actual.

I am concerned about the larger ones shell. It is very pyramidal and the top center is slightly concave (pic attached)
From what I've read I don't think that I can fix this.

The note on their cage simply said 2 lettuce and some spinach for a diet. They had 1 water tray big enough gor one to fit in and a 2d smaller water tray.

Their current enclosure seems large enough it is a (WxHxD) 48x17x13 inch (122x43x33cm) glass terrarium that was kept on the the lanai (covered, open area back porch) in southwestern Florida. It has a screen top. The substrate is about 2 in/5cm of mulch of some sort (doesn't smell like cedar or pine). They have 2 hides. pic attached

I plan to change their substrate to 3-4 in total depth of a layer of coconut fiber then sphagnum moss then orchid bark. I will keep the 2 water dishes and add a terra cotta dish for soaking. I think that the 2 hides they have will work for awhile.

They have a calcium block and some small smooth river rocks from my yard in their cage. Each time I let them wander in the yard the first thing they do is find small smooth rocks or oyster shells to chew on. Then they start to taste test the vegetation. I am concerned about them eating the oyster shell because it look a little sharp to me. I know some digestive systems can handle it, but I don't know about theirs.

I plan to feed them one type of food once a day on a rotating cycle of greens, protein, greens, fruit, repeat. The amount of greens will be about the size of their shell. The fruit and protein about half that size.

In the future I plan to use a 20ft x 40ft part of my yard as their normal enclosure. It has a couple of short Palmetto plants for shade. I will build an enclosure for them for additional shelter and plant some tort friendly plants for hides, and 2-4 shallow water dishes for them to soak in and drink from.

I will use their current enclosure on the lanai for bad weather.

Can anyone provide some input about:
1. Are they able to eat oyster shell?
2. What plants are good for their enclosure?
3. What plants are bad for their enclosure?
4. Feedback on my plans.
5. What am I overlooking?

20190804_102310.jpg 20190804_074616.jpg 20190804_074601.jpg 20190804_120347.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Dan, and welcome to the Forum!

You said you thought the enclosure is big enough. I don't agree. In my opinion, it's not even big enough for one tortoise, let alone three. Tortoises digestion process is aided by walking. They need to have enough room to wander quite a bit in order to keep things moving through the digestive tract.

1. Are they able to eat oyster shell? yes
2. What plants are good for their enclosure? hosta, viola/pansy, rose of sharon, clover, fillaree, squash plants, to name just a few
3. What plants are bad for their enclosure? https://ucanr.edu/sites/poisonous_safe_plants/Toxic_Plants_by_Scientific_Name_685/
4. Feedback on my plans. The yard you're planning for them sounds great. Make sure it has lots of shade and moisture
5. What am I overlooking? RF tortoises like to sit in the water, so having a shallow, little pond for them would be nice.

Last edited:

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I echo Yvonne above. Please don’t think I’m being harsh but that enclosure is way too small. Looking at that tortoise it’s not even double the tortoise length.
If I were you, I would get them outside set up ASAP.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Hello from North Florida, and welcome to the forum!

You will find care sheets and other information in the species specific section. I'm also tagging @ZEROPILOT. He has lots of experience with redfoots and lives in Southeast Florida. He'll be a great resource for you. :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello, Dan.
Have we spoken before?
I'd be more than happy to help you both design and build your outdoors enclosure.
It looks like something you need to do soon. Those animals need an enclosure of at least 8' square.
No terrarium is large enough for even a single sub adult Redfoot. And keeping two is a bad idea. Keeping two together in that tiny thing is animal cruelty.
How far from Sunrise 33322 are you?

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Feed them hibiscus flowers and leaves.
Give them some fruit. All of this is available in south Florida right now.
Do not feed spinach. That one shouldn't be fed often. And most lettuces have little nutritional value.
Soak them daily in some shallow warm water and get them outside for some sun.
(But make sure they also have shade)
If you get a moment. Look at my short video on YOUTUBE called REDFOOT HABITAT FLORIDA STYLE.
That enclosure is sturdy and secure and cost about $300 in its basic form.
It is 12' by 30' without the night boxes.

Last edited:

dan0327

Southwest Florida
Hello, Dan.
Have we spoken before?
I'd be more than happy to help you both design and build your outdoors enclosure.
It looks like something you need to do soon. Those animals need an enclosure of at least 8' square.
No terrarium is large enough for even a single sub adult Redfoot. And keeping two is a bad idea. Keeping two together in that tiny thing is animal cruelty.
How far from Sunrise 33322 are you?
I am in Port Charlotte. We are about 3 hrs. I had some friends that lived there a couple of years ago.

The outdoor enclosure that I have for them is about 15'x20'. It is surrounded by fence and a small brick wall. I keep them in it for daytime and back into the terrarium for night. We have coyotes & Bobcats in the area. There are no low lying plants, so I have put a few large Palm fronds down and built a sandstone cave for them to use as a hide. there are 3 shallow water trays for them to soak in. I will take pics. It is temporary until I can get the time to get the right plants & cover. I am very open for recommendations and advice. This is a great community.