New With a Lack of a Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noko

5 Year Member
So I don't actually have a tortoise. My teacher has one, and knows absolutely nothing about it. Poor thing is stuck in an aquarium that looks to be about 20 gallons. She got it from a student that no longer had time for it (she had her for 8 months which is crazy). Well, it turns out my teacher really doesn't want it either and is giving it away. It's a female Russian Tortoise named Vladimir (I know it's a Slavic name, but for a girl?!?). Once I start researching something though, I don't stop. Who knows, maybe I will somehow end up with Vladimir.

Okay, a bit about me: I have four dogs, a cat, and many fish. I am thinking about going to college to become a marine biologist of some sort, but at this time my interests change monthly. I have kept fish for most of my life, and my dad has always had some sort of fish around me. My oldest fish is 10+ years old. He was my dad's, but I have taken over caring for all the fish. I have been interested in tortoises because they don't bark or physically get in your way, but they still can bond with you. I like having nice, calm pets such as fish. I understand that tortoises live for a really long time and take a decent bit of care, but I can handle that. So I'm really here just to learn information, and hopefully make Vladimir's life a bit better in that little 20 gallon tank. Possibly get a tortoise (or Vladimir who really needs to be renamed...), but who knows.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
spain
Hello and welcome,
You have come to the right forum to learn everything you need to know.
First off. A tort needs to be preferably outside, which you could make a pen for her, but be careful Russians are expert diggers.:D

If like me you haven't got a secure garden a tortoise table or as I use a very large rabbit cage work just as well.

If you do have her indoors she will need a ceramic heater and a good UVA/B light.
As for substrate I use a Eco plant pot earth, but many on here sway more to the coco coir and mulch.:)

You will need a hide and if outside you will need several hides, a food dish and a water dish big enough for her to get in and bathe, as torts hydrate through their bottom,

I feed mine brood green leaves, flowers, and something else that I do not know
the name of in English.:rolleyes:

A lot of the members like Mazuri, but I cannot get that here.

Butter squash is very good as it will help deworming.

I hope you do get her, it's not fair to be with someone that hasn't got a clue. :tort:
Good luck

Noko

5 Year Member
If I were to ever have a tortoise I wouldn't be able to leave them in a secure pen in my yard due to my dogs, the lawn service, fertilizer, and so on. But I am always up to giving a small portion of my room to a tortoise table that is at least 4' x 4'. And them possibly take them outside on good days and sit in a big dog play pen thing (I would have to think about the whole fertilizer issue first though) with them for awhile. 100% supervised fun as long as I have a good book. My dad was a carpenter, so I can always make it my project to build something, but ask for bits of help along the way. I had a bearded dragon, but I would have to recheck everything like the light to make sure it was the right type and still works since I had no clue what I was doing with him (I was 11 or 12 when he passed), but right there I might have a water dish or some sort of light fixture. I ended up keeping everything since it all cost a bit, but you never know when you might need a certain thing.

And thanks for the welcomes :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Hello and welcome! Sounds like the little Russian is sadly in need of a home with somebody who actually wants her. Sounds like you could be a great possibility.

You mentioned time outside with you in a dog run. I would warn you of two things, first off most tortoises love poop and have a remarkable detection ability to find it. Which is sorta gross, but not a really bad thing if the dogs are healthy. That's where the second thing comes in, if you use any products which have Ivermectin type ingredients in them, they can kill your tortoises. It and it's relatives are found in a lot of dog products like worm meds (heartworm included), so be careful.

Continue your research and look over especially the Rusian section and the enclosure and diet ones for ideas and thoughts. Also we love to answer questions, so feel free to ask them.

Glad your here!

Noko

5 Year Member
I would take the play pen out front where none of my dogs have the ability to get to. We keep my Jack Russell in the play pen during the day since she has issues with her hind legs and can't jump over anything, but it's one of those with no bottom, and you can pick it up and move it. It's sorta like: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3432639 I would be out there with the tortoise so there would be no worry of it digging out since I think I am quick enough to catch a tortoise even if it's going as fast as it can. I still have to think about having fertilizer everywhere though.

I've been looking at all the photos of enclosures and reading a bit of the do's and don't with the diet. Since I don't even know if I can get a tortoise I feel like that can wait until I can really get into it. I however feel like I know enough to bring a list of things to the teacher and maybe get some decent food for Vladimir. Iceberg lettuce just doesn't cut it.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I would say if you use fertilizer on the grass where your going to set the pen get one with a soild bottom like a kidde pool or somthing like that

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Welcome, you came to the right place with your questions!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Noko:

Welcome to the forum!!

Poor tortoise! Russians are great tortoises, but I really think they should be outside.

May we know your name and where you are?

Noko

5 Year Member
Well, I also have a nice screened in deck that would be perfect for warmer days. Get the little kiddie pool, put substrate and plants in it, and tada safe little area. Too bad I feel like I will never get a tortoise XD Oh well, Vladimir can use a semi-knowledgable person in her life even if it is only for a few months. Thanks for the welcomes everyone!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hey don't go negative thinking here. If the worse case happens and you don't get the teacher's tortoise, there are lots of Russians (and other species) just sitting in rescues waiting for addoption by somebody like you.

DocNezzy

5 Year Member
Good for you for educating yourself! Welcome to the best place to do so!

Noko

5 Year Member
I'm just hoping that worst come to worst, the teacher keeps Vladimir. Some of the kids in my class are just... They freaked when she relieved herself. I was just thinking "I've eaten worse than that." The teacher couldn't of cared less that Vladimir just relieved herself on the desk.

If I don't end up getting Vladimir I'm going to do some research on other types of tortoises and see what one would fit best with me. I don't care too much about looks, as long as it's healthy and can handle not being in a large enclosure. Maybe I will find someone local that has some tortoise for sale or for adoption. I would hate to go to petsmart or petco to get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.