New with a juvenile red foot!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciertagarner22

5 Year Member
Hi i have a redfoot name Theodore he is about 3 inches long I have tried several fruits and veggies and the only thing he will eat is wax worms I just don't know how many worms to feed I don't want to over feed or under feed him I love him so much I found him in the wild about a week ago we has rescue he was almost killed by a lawn mower but we saved him I fell in love with all the turtles when I started my job at petsmart about 3 months ago they are the most amazing reptiles we are currently in the process of building him a turtle table I know you would think I would know the answers b/c I work at a pet store but I don't I got the zoo med food and Misted it and broke it down for him did not eat it but as soon as I put a wax worm in there he will and eat it right off the tongs he ate 8 the other so my main question is what is a good amount of worms to feed him thanks Cierra :tort:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    854 KB · Views: 73

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D cute little one....I would be sure to vary his diet---even if he does not agree :p....you must be tough until you get a better rounded diet....

I would offer the worms a couple times a week and I would offer him enough of them to equal the size of his head---that is it at each offering...

bpham93

5 Year Member
Hi! welcome to the forum. I dont' know much about red foots, but its very

likely that its not a good idea to feed worms too much. Weeds and vegies is

the safer route. I suggest slowly adding greens into with the worm, and

slowly taking the worm out, only feed it every other day or week.

Eventually he'll be use to the vegies, so no worries!

Good luck!

abclements

5 Year Member
Can you take some closer pictures of his shell. Both top and bottom. I'm not entirely convinced he's a red foot. Actually I'm quite certain he's a box turtle of sorts. Either way wax worms aren't terrible when fed as part of a varied diet

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
um... are you sure thats a redfoot? looks like a box turtle to me.

hence the reason why he is eating worms. I think he is a box turtle.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Cierra, and welcome to the Forum!!

Your new little eastern box turtle probably won't eat much fruits and veggies while it is this small, but you should keep offering them anyway. Wax worms are just fine. You can also buy pin head crickets, red worms, night crawlers and you can offer bits of cooked chicken.

ciertagarner22

5 Year Member
Thanks guys for letting me know he likes the crickets and I bought the zoo med box turtle can food and he loves it well mainly the corn out of it lol :)

DMills0421

5 Year Member
:tort::)My dad and I looked at the pics of its feet and it is not a red foot, it is a box turtle, like other people said. By the way it is a BEAUTIFUL little guy!

good luck;)

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Cute eastern box turtle, good luck with everything

Status
Not open for further replies.