New Water Feature at Tortoise Cove

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
OMG Jeff that is too freaking cool. I sooooo love it. Is the water recycling?

The idea came from a pre-cast fiber glass unit I saw at a trade show. My neighbor was cutting down a 60 foot + pine tree that was half dead and coming to close to the power wires. Upon hearing the chain saws rip…..I thought of a bitchen idea :rolleyes:….The stumps themselves are 20” in diameter with the “ tree posts” a good 6-8”in dia. Each one was set down inside the base (which ment hollowing it out) 8”down inside the stumps. Then extra Simpson “hold downs” were used with 6”-8” lag bolts. The beam itself is a 6x6 treated piece that was hollowed out (carved from above) so there are no visible pipes. This was then coated with marine resin to aid in making a water proof moister barrier. The tricky part was the actual flow ratio to size hole ratio at a downward flow inside the beam while still maintaining a level beam when viewed from afar ect…..

YES…..this is self-maintained with a 60 gallon reservoir buried 4 feet down that recycles the water through the mini river bed with filters, screens and all. Also designed for easy cleaning, in case of a clogged pump ect ……(I have learned that from my ponds!) The structure itself stands about 9 feet tall and 10 foot wide. The only visible line is a black flex line that I notched into the back side of one of the trunks. The new flagstone was installed and re-seeded…..so in about 2 weeks should really look nice. STILL waiting for my new camera …..I returned the old one and had to order the one I wanted. Should be here in the next few days . This “trail” vid was shot with Cindy’s cell phone.
;)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Nice. Does it recirculate most of the water? (Draw from the ground)
Or does it just pour down?
OOps. sorry. I just went back and read again.
I like it a lot.