New UV set up help

Lisa84

Location (City and/or State)
Halifax
Hi all, my tortoise Eric previously had an MVB set up but i found i could never keep his bask spot at the right temp plus i was finding them so temperamental and after 2 months had already had to replace the bulb.
I decided to get separate units and replaced the MVB bulb immediately with a flood bulb whilst waiting for the Arcadia T5 unit to arrive.

Anyway my point is, the Arcadia kit arrived today and i’ve set it up and Eric has immediately gone to the side of his enclosure as if to escape the light. He would never usually do this and sticks to his basking slate.

is it just a case of him getting used to it or have i done something wrong (picture included)

Attachments

• 720F50AA-FC16-43CC-810B-703C3C793A33.jpeg
    720F50AA-FC16-43CC-810B-703C3C793A33.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 16

TaylorTortoise

Abington
You might be having an issue because there is a screen covering the light. Try getting a regular dome fixture and hang it you can get a stand or make your own.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Which Arcadia lamp is it? How high is it mounted?

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Hi all, my tortoise Eric previously had an MVB set up but i found i could never keep his bask spot at the right temp plus i was finding them so temperamental and after 2 months had already had to replace the bulb.
I decided to get separate units and replaced the MVB bulb immediately with a flood bulb whilst waiting for the Arcadia T5 unit to arrive.

Anyway my point is, the Arcadia kit arrived today and i’ve set it up and Eric has immediately gone to the side of his enclosure as if to escape the light. He would never usually do this and sticks to his basking slate.

is it just a case of him getting used to it or have i done something wrong (picture included)
@

@ZEROPILOT is quite knowledgeable about UV issues. Hopefully he can give you helpful advice...

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Part of the point of having an enclosure large enough to make light and heat zones is so that an animal can move around and self-regulate their own body temperature and simulated-sun-radiation exposure.

I'm going to guess either one of two things: 1- that the MVB bulbs you were sold were just not putting out much ultraviolet radiation, so your tort could ignore them. OR 2- since they were also the primary heat source, Eric had not choice but to stay near them (which can badly overexpose animals to the radiation portion of the output over time).

The only way to know what strength of uvb radiation is being produced by any one uv bulb at the height where you've placed it is to get a uv meter (like a temp gun). Overexposure to uvb radiation is just as dangerous as no exposure (just different symptoms).

After you verify that the radiation unit you've chosen is producing the proper output at his level, you can feel confident that Eric will move toward or away from the beams as he needs to over the course of his day, week, month.

Last edited:

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan

About 4 months ago I made the same change from MVB to a flood light and T5 and my tortoise had the exact same reaction. I thought it was maybe having the extra fixture hanging over head that freaked him out. It worried me at first, but I confirmed several times that the UV output was right so I just gave him time to adjust. It took 4 or 5 days and he was used to it and haven’t had any issues since. Do you have a Solar meter to make sure the UV output is where it should be? If the UV output is correct and the temps are correct, then I think he just needs time to adjust. I am by no means an expert, this is just what my experience was.

Lisa84

Halifax
thanks for the responses everyone. He seems fine now and is basking. It was such an instant aversion to it, it got me a bit worried but all seems ok now