New update on my non sexed Hermann’s I need help please!

Grace-Sophia

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hey guys, a few of you might have seen my other thread,” Having a heard time sexing my Hermann’s Tortoise.” I have a new update on his/her tail that I think might Be a good conformation but I need some experts on the case please! She/he has seemed To have developed a tail tip! I’m not sure if that is a male characteristic??

Attachments

• 1CDAA1EB-6967-4398-B1D0-2F2856C028EE.jpeg
    1CDAA1EB-6967-4398-B1D0-2F2856C028EE.jpeg
    894 KB · Views: 75

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Male and female Hermann’s have that. Your tortoise would have always had it, it just might be more pronounced as he grows. Here’s some info from https://www.hermannihaven.com

“At the tip of the tail on both sexes, a horny nail is found. This feature has enabled a second but much less used name for Testudo hermanni, the Mediterranean spur-tailed tortoise. It is believed that this hardened tip is used by males to stimulate the female’s cloacal region and to then guide his penis into the her cloaca during courtship but its purpose on females is unknown.”

You can read more here: https://www.hermannihaven.com/t-hermanni-systematics

Last edited:

Grace-Sophia

Texas
Oh okay, thank you so much, do you know if it is male or female? I really appreciate the help!

Grace-Sophia

Texas
His/her cloaca is more slit shaped then star shaped, he/she does also tend to make his presence know, when it’s feeding time he tends to march up right to the front boldly. Like “who’s invading my territory”

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Based on this photo and the photos in your other thread, I think this tortoise has traits that look to be leaning towards male. Also on your other thread, Chris from Garden State Tortoise gave you his opinion that he believes your tortoise to be a young male. Chris is a leading Testudo expert, so I would take his answer, accept it and not look any further. Male or female, your 2 tortoises need to live in their own separate enclosures.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Whatever sex the tortoise is, it won’t change. Yours is just too young and small to give a definite answer as the typical male traits don’t present until the tortoise is larger. My tortoise doesn’t really have any male characteristics yet and weighs just over 1 pound. The only reason I know he’s male is because he flashes his bits and humps a big rock in his enclosure daily. ?

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Definitely looking male and BOTH sexes have the horny tip on the tail. I cover this in the video I posted about sexing tortoises. It should have been made a sticky thread, not sure if it was.

Grace-Sophia

Texas
Definitely looking male and BOTH sexes have the horny tip on the tail. I cover this in the video I posted about sexing tortoises. It should have been made a sticky thread, not sure if it was.
Thank you so much! I will be separating the two in the morning, right now I only have a 3 by 2 available for an indoor enclosure, he will also hopefully be getting an outdoor enclosure along with my other torts this summer, hopefully soon I can get a 4 by 3 built for him!

Grace-Sophia

Texas
I also just wanted to put out there that I exercise my torts. I have a enclosed balcony that gets fresh air, it’s open but the torts can’t escape because of the solid wood semi walls. They get to go out there while it’s warm outside, hopefully they will be each getting their separate out door enclosures this summer. I also have a very large open room that has its own thermostat so I can warm it up for the tortoises and they can get to walk and “run” for a good chunk of time, they also get to roam the yard, under supervision of course, and they love soaking in the sun!