New Turtoise Mom

BShelby

Location (City and/or State)
Fort Smith Arkansas
We found a baby three toed box turtle and it was brought home. After reading tons, I have learned you shouldn't just return them to the wild unless you return them exactly where you got them from. That is undoable so I have decided to just do my best at giving him/her a good home. I have purchased just about everything I have read I need (UVB light should be in in a few days) but we have everything else the internet says we need. We have named him Fred. Who knew I would love owning a turtle?! He eats meal worms very well but I cannot get him to eat veggies or packaged foods. He will only eat live. I am still learning about them and their care but so far, I am in love!! Since his UVB light is not in yet, we have been taking him outside in sunlight for an hour a day until it gets in. ANyways

Meet Fred
46379437-2276870015719874-3398620970083155968-n.jpg

45244297-2251419674931575-5415981638888718336-o.jpg

46047384-2272700279470181-2439697760937574400-n.jpg

turtt.jpg

Give me all the tips and advice you think I will need to be the best mom possible.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You ordered a strip florescent lamp for UV?
If you ordered a compact florescent "bulb", get your money back.
You want this kind.
It might be hard to return if it is USED.

Attachments

• 20181011_101057.jpg
    20181011_101057.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 62

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Fred(ricka) is still too young to know the sex. I love the little habitat you've created for the turtle to live in. Great job! I've had good luck getting baby box turtle to eat their greens by chopping them up into tiny particles then drizzling canned cat food juice over them and mix it all up good. I also moisten/soften the water turtle stix and mix them into the greens too. Meal worms aren't the greatest for a staple item. The hard exoskeleton doesn't digest.

Make sure to keep Fred(ricka) in a warm, humid environment. Because the body is so small it dehydrates easily/quickly.

Welcome to the Forum!

drew54

Indiana
Fred(ricka) is still too young to know the sex. I love the little habitat you've created for the turtle to live in. Great job! I've had good luck getting baby box turtle to eat their greens by chopping them up into tiny particles then drizzling canned cat food juice over them and mix it all up good. I also moisten/soften the water turtle stix and mix them into the greens too. Meal worms aren't the greatest for a staple item. The hard exoskeleton doesn't digest.

Make sure to keep Fred(ricka) in a warm, humid environment. Because the body is so small it dehydrates easily/quickly.

Welcome to the Forum!

How do you tell the sex of a turtle? Do you do it by tail size since their plastron is different from a tortoise?

Janet_1117

Santa Fe, Tx
I believe your Fred may be a Fran. The tail looks a little short from the picture. I too have a three toed adult named Lucy. I just flipped an old tractor tire over filled it with dirt and debis with a watering dish. She too won’t touch any of the leafy greens I put in but she has and endless supply of bugs and eathworms that make their way into her domain plus the ones I find for her while I’m out there. She’s very sociable. When she knows I’m in the area she comes out of her hide away and follows me as I move around her home. They are very interesting little creatures.

TortMom6

Citrus Heights, California, USA
I have an adult male box turtle named Juliet. For a long time I was told it looked like a she based on her underside and tail length. But one day she decided to show me her man parts. (Scared me because I thought my girl prolapsed a colon). So from now on I will definitely be waiting untill eggs are laid or I see hard evidence of male parts.

She (see I can't stop using female pronouns. Called her a she for over 3 years, I guess it's just habit now) was never interested in greens, when he was a baby. After I had her for about a year she all the sudden started eating her greens. At 4 she definitely loves greens the best, though she'll never say no to bugs. We just discovered live snails. I have always heard that as babies they are more carnivorous and as the age they become more omnivorous. But I'm by no means an expert.

She was my first turtle, and it's amazing how much you fall in love with them. She definitely has more personality that any warm blooded creature I've met. I've nicknamed her Sauron because when I am in the same room she follows me with her eyes. Wherever I go she'll adjust and stretch her head to keep me in her sight. Reminded me of the all seeing eye of Sauron from Lord of the Rings.

Good luck with your new little one. I'm sure you will both be very happy with each other.

TortMom6

We found a baby three toed box turtle and it was brought home. After reading tons, I have learned you shouldn't just return them to the wild unless you return them exactly where you got them from. That is undoable so I have decided to just do my best at giving him/her a good home. I have purchased just about everything I have read I need (UVB light should be in in a few days) but we have everything else the internet says we need. We have named him Fred. Who knew I would love owning a turtle?! He eats meal worms very well but I cannot get him to eat veggies or packaged foods. He will only eat live. I am still learning about them and their care but so far, I am in love!! Since his UVB light is not in yet, we have been taking him outside in sunlight for an hour a day until it gets in. ANyways

Meet Fred
46379437-2276870015719874-3398620970083155968-n.jpg

45244297-2251419674931575-5415981638888718336-o.jpg

46047384-2272700279470181-2439697760937574400-n.jpg

turtt.jpg

Give me all the tips and advice you think I will need to be the best mom possible.

Hi Fred!
Gorgeous set up! The only thing I'd recommend is to keep a close eye on your new baby with the smaller rocks. The ones in the picture where he/she is under the hide. I know from experience that box turtles love to put everything in their mouths, they're worst than 2 year olds. They're just so curious about everything and just have to taste it.

I know people say there are small rocks in the wild and it's not a problem for wild ones. But in the wild they have a lot more space to roam and things to do than even the best keeper can offer in captivity so wild ones have better things to do than play with rocks.

It could never end up being an issue, but if you know of it now you can at least be aware and able to monitor for ingestion issues. It's also possible the rocks are far to large to fit in the turtles mouth and the angle of the picture makes them look small. In which place, please disregard this reply.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
In your very first post, in picture # 4...is that a cat checking out Fred?

If it is, most of the time cats don't bother turtles, but keep a close eye.

If it isn't a cat, it looks furry...what is it? [emoji2]

BShelby

Fort Smith Arkansas
In your very first post, in picture # 4...is that a cat checking out Fred?

If it is, most of the time cats don't bother turtles, but keep a close eye.

If it isn't a cat, it looks furry...what is it? [emoji2]

It is a cat. we do not have cats but I had stopped by my mothers and her cat was checking him out. I have 2 dogs and 2 ferrets. Our ferrets don't mess with Fred but one of our dogs finds him overly fascinating. So we have to keep them apart.

I am having a problem keeping the humidity up. I moist and it stays for about 12 hours then drops. I've thought about getting one of those mist/foggers for him but wasn't sure how those work.

BShelby

Fort Smith Arkansas
Hi Fred!
Gorgeous set up! The only thing I'd recommend is to keep a close eye on your new baby with the smaller rocks. The ones in the picture where he/she is under the hide. I know from experience that box turtles love to put everything in their mouths, they're worst than 2 year olds. They're just so curious about everything and just have to taste it.

I know people say there are small rocks in the wild and it's not a problem for wild ones. But in the wild they have a lot more space to roam and things to do than even the best keeper can offer in captivity so wild ones have better things to do than play with rocks.

It could never end up being an issue, but if you know of it now you can at least be aware and able to monitor for ingestion issues. It's also possible the rocks are far to large to fit in the turtles mouth and the angle of the picture makes them look small. In which place, please disregard this reply.

I agree. I did remove the smaller rocks and added a waterfall filter (should I add a heater in the water to keep it semi warm?) And I was having trouble getting him to eat and I read on here to try his soaks in the morning before he is fed so I did and afterwards, he ate everything.

Also, I have noticed he is sleeping all day. Is that ok?

TortMom6

I agree. I did remove the smaller rocks and added a waterfall filter (should I add a heater in the water to keep it semi warm?) And I was having trouble getting him to eat and I read on here to try his soaks in the morning before he is fed so I did and afterwards, he ate everything.

I've always used a terracotta plant saucer for water when they're small and a reptile water bowl big enough to soak in when they're adults, so don't know if a heater would be needed for the water. But I love the idea of what you've done with the water area.

I'm glad he's eating now.

All my babies seem to sleep the majority of the time. I think it's like human babies, as the get older they are awake for longer periods of time. But I'm certainly no expert, there are people on her that have way more knowledge and experience than I do who might be able to answer this question better. All I can say say is that in my limited experience the 2 I've had as babies slept all the time, but the babies I have had we're not box turtles, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

As long as the heat is high enough, I would think he's ok. I suppose he could be trying to hibernate, but I would not think so if the temperature is right.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Absolutely. That's exactly what I'd expect a box turtle to be doing this time of year. Fred(ricka) may be somewhat more sociable (for a box turtle) as spring approaches. Even if they don't hibernate, they usually slow down during the coldest part of the year.

Hello from Florida, and welcome to the Forum!