New Turtle? Tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Louisiana
I live in Southern Louisiana and this guy was found near a lake, but no one knows what he is or if it is a he.

He was banged up and all gray when they found him, once they knew he wasn't going to die they asked me if I knew what to do since they knew I had a tortoise.

What I know to do is post him and let you experts tell me what he is!

Thanks!

100_5386.jpg

100_5385.jpg

100_5387.jpg

100_5388.jpg

100_5389.jpg

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Looks like a old boxie to me, how long have you/them had it? If it hasn't been exposed to other turts or torts and you haven't had him to long you might want to put it right back where they found it. If not here is a link for box turtle care www.boxturtlesite.info looks to be a 3 toed boxie. Is the plastron(bottom) have a concaved area towards the lower half ? Do you have any other shots of the tail? As for the sex I am undecided. But I am leaning towards male.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I also lean toward male. I think it is a gulf coast (T.c. major)/three-toed (T.c.triungulas) intergrade (not uncommon at all in that area).

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
thats one unique looking animal. those eyes just might give me nightmares!

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
gulf three toed box turtle i think it is too - i will probably put it back into the wild as soon as i find out a good spot.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
You will need to put it back in the exact same area it came from or otherwise it will aimlessly search for home. Boxes are very familiar with their home range, knowing where all food, water, and shelter is. Out of it, they are lost and will most likely die of starvation, predation, or even run over. This is the big problem in reestablishing them in new but good habitat.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You have a male Three-toed box turtle, Terrapene carolina triunguis. No cross there at all. From the pictures he looks to be 4 inches SCL. I have a group of 2.1 southern Louisiana Three-toeds and they are all only 4 inches SCL.
I can't say I've ever seen a cross between the 2 subspecies as they occur in different habitats. In the bad old days when I had all my box turtles together. I only saw one attempted mating between a gulf coast male and a female three-toed out of hundreds of breedings.
The mating wasn't successful, probably because of the size difference. :D

Danny

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Reptiles and Amphibians Eastern/Central North America by Roger Conant, Third Edition 1998, pg.161 "Within the US this and all other races of Terrapene caroline intergrade with one another in most areas where their ranges come in contact" and "The influence of major is evident along a large part of the Gulf Coast where it intergrades with other races". I once had a Florida/Gulf intergrade.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
josh said:
thats one unique looking animal. those eyes just might give me nightmares!

Sometimes when the male 3-toe is really ready to breed those eyes turn a bright red!

Yvonne

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I know what Rodger Contant says ;), but it's not that cut and dry. Someone did a study about the sexual preferances of the subspecies of carolina. It was found that Gulf coast males first preference is Gulf coast females, than Eastern females, than Florida females and Three-toed females last. Eastern males preference was split even with Easterns and Gulf coast females, than Three-toed females and last Florida females. Florida males seemed to not care what female it was. :D Three-toed males almost exclusively stuck with Three-toed females.
So yes it's always possible to get crosses with each subspecies, but if any of the males prefered females are around, than the males will choose them.
I've seen WC Eastern/Three-toed crosses, Eastern/Florida crosses, Gulf Coast/Eastern crosses and Gulf Coast/Florida crosses. I really can't say that I have ever seen what I can definately say was a Gulf Coast/Three-toed cross.
Right now I have 2 Florida/Gulf Coast crosses. Neat turtles who as they have gotten older are looking more and more like Floridas. They looked like pretty Gulf Coasts as hatchlings. They weren't bred by me, but happened to a friend of mine.

Danny

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
well now i am a little stressed because i can't return him to where he came from

I can however put him in a large area with a swamp

where would the best place be for this guy?

I don't have an interest in keeping him, tell me what to do!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
janiedough said:
well now i am a little stressed because i can't return him to where he came from
I can however put him in a large area with a swamp
where would the best place be for this guy?
I don't have an interest in keeping him, tell me what to do!

Since he can't be placed back in his home territory, try to find a turtle rescue in your area and give him to the rescue. They will find him a good home.

Yvonne

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
There are no turtle or tortoise rescues in Louisiana. Anyone want to fix this, please do!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Janiedough, maybe you could start the first one. :D
You might want to contact the local zoo for advice, just a thought.

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
I thought about it because I am sure we need one. But I am a little busy with law school.

People's attitudes around here are to dump everything in the bayou - that it will be ok there.

I can't imagine a sulcata in the bayou.

Just out of curiosity - anyone know where I can get funding for that kind of thing? I don't think the state would give it to me - anyone know of grants specific to this? I guess it isn't TOO expensive to do this in Louisiana since it is hot here and there are tons of Grass and empty space, but how would you even start this?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I would contact a couple of rescues out of state and ask them how they got their start. Let them know what you are thinking and I am sure they would be more than ready to help. I'm sure if you search Tortoise and Turtle Rescue on the net you should find tons.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Here is site that may help you and the turtle out. It's in Houston. www.gctts.org

correiam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
do you still have him? i have an outdoor habitat where he would be safe and happy.

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
Sorry guys, against your advice we released him, even though I couldn't find out where he was found - I released him on a huge tract of protected wetland. I talked to the girl who is a ranger type person there and she said she sees his kind all the time.

I was worried about him wandering for his home, but the area is huge - it takes about 60 minutes to drive there from the closest gas station.

I would have kept him and taken care of him, but I didn't have the means or the room. I also don't like the idea of feeding feeder mice to anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.