New torty mom!

beckaroo

Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
Hello from Missouri! We got our 3 week old baby, Gibbs, 2 weeks ago tomorrow. He hatched on June 7th. I've learned a LOT in these 2 weeks....still learning...and am working as hard as I can to do it right for my little pal.
I'm still trying desperately to increase humidity, right now it's holding around 70. He's in a 36" x 18" low sided reptile terrarium. Substrate is WET organic peat moss. Hide is directly under CHE (with small Pyrex bowl filled with water on top of hide). One 100w uva/uvb bulb next to that. Halfway to the other end is a lower watt uvb bulb. Then one corner is cool(80-ish). At night I have 2 CHE's on...the one above hide and I swap out lower watt uvb with CHE to try to keep heat uniform and not just in one corner.
He came to me eating Mazuri, raddichio, and escarole. I am transitioning him to grass and weeds. Soaking then mixing mazuri with chopped grass, a tiny amount of calcium on top 3 x per week. He also gets Dandelion and cactus. Occasionally mustard leaves and clover, and I only am giving him a small piece of raddichio every few days.
He gets daily soaks in warm water and I spray him a few times daily as well.
I am needing to build an outdoor enclosure, as right now I have to sit with him.
I'm fascinated by him...I never knew I could become so attached to a tortoise! :)

Attachments

• IMG_20180711_202458.jpg
    IMG_20180711_202458.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20180713_184833.jpg
    IMG_20180713_184833.jpg
    536.7 KB · Views: 28

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Welcome!! How exciting for you! Congrats. I’m a pretty new tort Mom too. This forum has been invaluable in getting my guys off to a good start. Have you weighed Gibbs yet? Where did You get him from?

beckaroo

Missouri
Welcome!! How exciting for you! Congrats. I’m a pretty new tort Mom too. This forum has been invaluable in getting my guys off to a good start. Have you weighed Gibbs yet? Where did You get him from?
Yes...he was 50g on June 28th...and 58g on July 14th. I habe no idea what a good growth rate is!