New tortoises needing id and tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonny1622

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Middle East
Hi all,
I've recently bought two tortoise which I believe are Greek tortoises but do no know the subspecies. I have just set up this enclosure, which I know does not have a UV light yet as I live in the middle east and find it hard to get but I have ordered some from the Uk to be delivered. The temperature is constant at around 25 celsius at the minute until I get the lamp I have ordered. Is this a suitable temperature at night which is my concern. The substrate is aspen shavings. I have experimented with a mixture of sand and soil but found it was sticking to them and getting all over their food. Ive attached pictures of the enclosure and the two tortoises. Any ID and sex as well as enclosure tips would be greatly appreciated. The tortoise with the darker undershell is bob and the lighter undershell is bubbles.

Attachments

• bob1.jpg
    bob1.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 88
  • bob2.jpg
    bob2.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 69
  • bubbles1.jpg
    bubbles1.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 65
  • bubbles 2.jpg
    bubbles 2.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 53
  • bubs and bob.jpg
    bubs and bob.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 73
  • enclosure1.jpg
    enclosure1.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 67
  • enclosure2.jpg
    enclosure2.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 62
M

Maggie Cummings

That sure is a large enclosure! I would add a regular incandescent 100 watt light bulb until you get your UVB, they need something/place to bask. They need to be able to increase their inner temperature to keep the eaten food from rotting. Adding a light bulb is easy enough to keep them from getting sick. They are very nice looking...

sonny1622

5 Year Member
The Middle East
Cheers for quick reply. May have to be a Bobbi. WIth regards to heating and lighting I've ordred a UVA/UVB heat light and lamp coming middle of month. This is all I will be to use until the summertime if I get a new place as I dont have a garden or balcony to let them out in the sunlight. THere is park around the garden but worrie dincase of any pesticides or parasites there.

sonny1622

5 Year Member
The Middle East
Cheers for quick reply. May have to be a Bobbi. With regards to heating and lighting I've ordred a UVA/UVB heat light and lamp coming middle of month. This is all I will be to use until the summertime if I get a new place as I dont have a garden or balcony to let them out in the sunlight. There is park around the garden but worried incase of any pesticides or parasites there.

Nice edited pic. Was pacing around the enclosure myself and just said the other hide should be there. Love the idea of the plants in the middle will be on the hunt tomorrow after work.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sonny1622:

Welcome to the forum!! Should we call you "Sonny?"

Your tortoises are beautiful and the enclosure you made for them is great! I love that you made it so big. They really do need lots of space to keep them happy.

I imagine, living in he Middle East, that its pretty warm all the time, huh? So your ambient temp is probably quite ok, however, they really should have a spot under a light (a regular light will suffice for now) where they can stretch out and warm their inner core.

Danny should be along pretty soon to help you with the sub species.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
They are both females and both Syrian greeks, Testudo graeca terrestris.

For that size enclosure you will need at least 2 hotspot/basking lights. One MVB and one regular incandescent bulb is fine. You will also need more light than that, so you can add a regular fluorscent fixture to the other end.

It looks like some parsley in your feeding dish. Is it?

Danny

sonny1622

5 Year Member
The Middle East
cheers for replies. Thank you for the Iding and tips on the lights. Like I say getting MVB lights over here is impossible, think I been to every known pet shop and hardware store in search for them so will have to wait till it gets delivered. I will get some ordinary lights attached after work. As regards to the food it's hard to get greens here. Only ones I found were romain lettuce, cabbage and endives. The stuff in their tray last night was from a local supermarket selling local produceso dont know what it was but thought I try it.

I am currently growing my own clover and going to look for more other food sources to grow.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
See if you can locate some Opuntia cactus (we call them "Prickly Pear" around here)...your torts will love eating them and I'd think they'd grow great there. Try for the spineless variety...your tortoises will eat either type, but you'll have to be more careful handling the spined varieties!

opuntia_treleasei_lg.jpg

Florist shops likely will have opuntia or can get it for you...plant some outside.

Also, there are very likely native plants of the cactus or succulent vrieties native and easy to gather.

kit-e-kat

5 Year Member
Gardena, Ca.
I have two Greeks, Tetsudo Greca Greca, and I would suggest that, if you can, take them outside once or twice a week, even for a little while, to get some natural sunshine and UV rays. I believe that you can't beat nature. Also I would soak them once or twice a week, in a tub of shallow lukewarm water. Water below their chins. This helps hydrate them and helps them poo and pass urates.

sonny1622

5 Year Member
The Middle East
managed to get some prickly pears from a garden centre here so looking good on providing a varied diet. The MVB's and cermaic heat emitters are due soon just cant wait to get it all sorted. Using an ordinary 100 WAtt bulb at the minute they seem to like it as they been basking under it. Cheers for all the help been greatly appreciated. Will provide updated pics of enclosure when all completed

Sonny

sonny1622

5 Year Member
The Middle East
Been a while since I did an update. Attached is a pic of the enclosure a bit more decorated. I still need to get some decent rocks got a couple today but havent put them in yet. THe light clipped on the back is gone now so just have the two hanging down. A CHE and MVB keeps the temps around that area at 35 and the outside is around 30 at the bottom and 28ish at top (celsius).

It also looks a lot darker than it actually is I have no idea why the photos were like that. THe torts were also playing a game they love called hide and seek

Attachments

• enc.jpg
    enc.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 25

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That looks great, Sonny. I'm sure your tortoises are very happy!

kimby37

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
sonny1622 said:
Been a while since I did an update. Attached is a pic of the enclosure a bit more decorated. I still need to get some decent rocks got a couple today but havent put them in yet. THe light clipped on the back is gone now so just have the two hanging down. A CHE and MVB keeps the temps around that area at 35 and the outside is around 30 at the bottom and 28ish at top (celsius).

It also looks a lot darker than it actually is I have no idea why the photos were like that. THe torts were also playing a game they love called hide and seek

Your tortoise table/set up looks great :)

Status
Not open for further replies.