New tortoises in their enclosure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

1208jen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Niskayuna, NY
Red 2.JPGRed 1.JPGCherry 2.JPGCherry 1.JPGHere are some pictures of my new tortoises in their enclosure. I have to say a big thank you to Terryo for helping me with ideas to set it up. I initially had my new cherry heads in a tortoise table, as this is what one of the breeders had recommended. I could tell right away that it wasn't working for them. It was too cold, even with a heat lamp and additional heater, and I couldn't keep the humidity up without constantly running a humidifier in the room, which was causing the wall paint to bubble and a moldy smell(fiance wasn't happy).

Now I have them in an aquarium and I can control the heat and humidity. They are out and about more and seem so much happier. I have one end with plants and mositure and then another end dryer with a log hideout for the torts. We are all much happier:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Englishrose

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
What a wondeful enclosure, congrats, they seem happy.

Oh, Welcome to the forum

K

1208jen said:
Here are some pictures of my new tortoises in their enclosure. I have to say a big thank you to Terryo for helping me with ideas to set it up. I initially had my new cherry heads in a tortoise table, as this is what one of the breeders had recommended. I could tell right away that it wasn't working for them. It was too cold, even with a heat lamp and additional heater, and I couldn't keep the humidity up without constantly running a humidifier in the room, which was causing the wall paint to bubble and a moldy smell(fiance wasn't happy).

Now I have them in an aquarium and I can control the heat and humidity. They are out and about more and seem so much happier. I have one end with plants and mositure and then another end dryer with a log hideout for the torts. We are all much happier:D

1208jen

5 Year Member
Niskayuna, NY
Thanks. At some point I will have to upgrade to a bigger aquarium but for now this seems to be working. I have them in a 55gal. They are 3 inches and 4 inches big and seem to like each other, sleep in the same area etc. I didn't realise it would be so difficult and expensive arranging a set up for them. I spent over $200 on the tortoise table set up and had to do it all over with the aquarium. I couldn't afford or fit anything bigger in the car, which is why I went with the 55 gal. They also have an outdoor tortoise pen for when it gets warmer.

1208jen

5 Year Member
Niskayuna, NY
lynnedit said:
I see Terryo's touch! That really looks nice and you can tell they are happy.

Yes Terryo was a hugh help and it is great to have the support of other redfoot and tortoise fans. Thanks for the compliments the torts are definitely much happier. Eating, soaking themselves in their water bowls, exploring etc. They love the end of the aqauriaum with all the plants and have been hanging out in the pansies. The skin on my female is looking better too. She had a dry head when I got her and now it is a pretty red and not so dry. It's all very exciting! I am really pleased with the cherry heads, they are super pretty and interesting to watch, and so far tolerate, each other, to the point that they seem to seek each other out at times.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.