New tortoise owner

Crystallynda

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
I’m afraid his mouth is causing him to not wanted to eat so much!!
Please tell me I’m tripping and he just needs time??

Happytort27

CA
The coco coir will expand as you add water to it, so don’t worry. It will do for now.

Since you only have one thermometer/hygrometer so far, I would first put it on the warm side, then slowly move it over to the cooler side. Once you’ve measured every area, then just place it wherever the tortoise is. I’m not an expert on this, so I can’t really give you any other advice.

I can’t really see exactly what is wrong with Coco’s mouth because the picture is blurry, but it looks like a green food stain. If it is, it’s nothing to worry about. It’ll come off after a couple of warm soaks.

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
The coco coir will expand as you add water to it, so don’t worry. It will do for now.

Since you only have one thermometer/hygrometer so far, I would first put it on the warm side, then slowly move it over to the cooler side. Once you’ve measured every area, then just place it wherever the tortoise is. I’m not an expert on this, so I can’t really give you any other advice.

I can’t really see exactly what is wrong with Coco’s mouth because the picture is blurry, but it looks like a green food stain. If it is, it’s nothing to worry about. It’ll come off after a couple of warm soaks.
It just looks dark to me that’s all!

Happytort27

CA
To many threads so I started a new one!
Do I need to leave his substrate outside for a couple minutes for it to dry?
After the coco coir is loosened and moist, pack it down in the enclosure so it will be less messy. You want it to be slightly damp to provide humidity. You don’t want it to be dry.

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
After the coco coir is loosened and moist, pack it down in the enclosure so it will be less messy. You want it to be slightly damp to provide humidity. You don’t want it to be dry.
Sounds good! That was my overall question!!

tomorrow first thing I’m doing is just that!!

Crystallynda

Las Vegas

I don’t think this light is warm enough!..without light on its 78 inside! Same as the room!

Ima look at the temp tomorrow in the morning to see what the temperature is!

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
I don’t think this light is warm enough!..without light on its 78 inside! Same as the room!

How often should I spray the substrate and how often does it need to be replaced ?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
If youake sure you like

If you must shop for greens at the store make sure you like them as well. You will be having salads right along with this little beauty and won't waste much. Also since you live in Vegas, I don't think you will need a UVB light unless he never goes outside. Good luck and welcome!

Oh, I surely wish this sharing would work for me! The problem is that everything he eats, except romaine, is so bitter. Endive, escarole, radicchio, arugula, mustard, dandelion...I can't eat it. I eat a lot of salad, so end up having to buy his greens and my veggies. We can't share. :(

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA

You should be using the timer to turn the basking light on at 8 or 9 every morning.

After it's been on for at least an hour, get a rock or a brick...something that's roughly the same height as Coco. Put the rock or brick directly underneath the lit basking light. Put your new thermometer on top of the rock or brick. Leave it alone for an hour. Check the temperature. Post that temp when you come online.

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
You should be using the timer to turn the basking light on at 8 or 9 every morning.

After it's been on for at least an hour, get a rock or a brick...something that's roughly the same height as Coco. Put the rock or brick directly underneath the lit basking light. Put your new thermometer on top of the rock or brick. Leave it alone for an hour. Check the temperature. Post that temp when you come online.
Perfect!! I will!

Crystallynda

Las Vegas

This is what it reads! He’s soaking!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14

Crystallynda

Las Vegas

Baby is Croaking??