New Tortoise owner

MorganScobie

Location (City and/or State)
Shipston-on-Stour
Hi everyone

Yesterday i brought home Beau, he is a year old horsefield tortoise. I have done loads of research and also just completed a 2 year course in animal welfare at college. So i am confident in my ability to look after my little buddy. Is it true that a tortoise his age will sleep 19-22 hours a day? He also seems to like to bury himself in the corner of the table under the heat lamp. However, this is where the wire for the sensor is. Any reccomendations on how to protect the wire and him. should i jsut bury it some where else in the enclosure so he can safely dig there? Thanks in advance

Morgan

MorganScobie

Shipston-on-Stour
Thought i should attach a photo of my tortoise table. Any comments appreciated. Will add more to make it more engaging for him. But due to current pandemic issues i have not been able to get any plants yet.
Beau enclosure.jpg

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Hi everyone

Yesterday i brought home Beau, he is a year old horsefield tortoise. I have done loads of research and also just completed a 2 year course in animal welfare at college. So i am confident in my ability to look after my little buddy. Is it true that a tortoise his age will sleep 19-22 hours a day? He also seems to like to bury himself in the corner of the table under the heat lamp. However, this is where the wire for the sensor is. Any reccomendations on how to protect the wire and him. should i jsut bury it some where else in the enclosure so he can safely dig there? Thanks in advance

Morgan

Hi

It takes them awhile to get use to new surroundings, he is likely stressed and hiding. May I made a suggestion on your water bowl, these types are known tipping hazards they do best with shallow water saucers (the kind that collect water under potted plants). Also there is a lot of bad information out there, do yourself a favor and check out the care sheets on this forum. Good luck.