New tortoise owner

sjones28

Location (City and/or State)
Rochester NY
Hello tortoise forum, i'm a new owner of a Hermann's tortoise named Shelby. I'm a biochemistry student in Rochester NY so currently she is living indoors in a temporary pen (until i think of a way to make a bigger enclosure for her) in my apartment. Here are some pics!IMG-4402.JPG IMG-4411.JPG IMG-4420.JPG

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome to you and Shelby. Maybe think about a 2 story enclosure.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Welcome...

you are going to definitely need a bigger boat, but Shelby is a great looking tort!

sjones28

Rochester NY
Welcome to you and Shelby. Maybe think about a 2 story enclosure.
I've considered it, but shelby is pretty clumsy im scared she would fall off the ramp and flip herself over... when making a two story enclosure do you put the walls on the ramp? im building her house this weekend and haven decided on a design yet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

Yes, there would be walls or a fence along the edge of the ramp.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I've considered it, but shelby is pretty clumsy im scared she would fall off the ramp and flip herself over... when making a two story enclosure do you put the walls on the ramp? im building her house this weekend and haven decided on a design yet.
@vladimir has a ramp. Maybe we can call him out and he can send some pics.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
@vladimir has a ramp. Maybe we can call him out and he can send some pics.

I haven't posted any updated pictures in a while, but you can see the construction process here: https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/planning-new-indoor-enclosure.163087/

Definitely put walls on the ramp. Our sulcata uses his ramp multiple times a day to go up to his box. Oh -- and make sure the slope isn't too steep. Mine is a 6 foot ramp to go up to a 2 foot high platform. In hindsight it would've been better to make the ramp 8 foot or so so it was less steep. He's mastered it now but it was challenging sometimes when he was smaller.

Let me know if you have any questions. My setup is geared for a big beasty sulcata but maybe it'll give you some ideas.

sjones28

Rochester NY
I haven't posted any updated pictures in a while, but you can see the construction process here: https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/planning-new-indoor-enclosure.163087/

Definitely put walls on the ramp. Our sulcata uses his ramp multiple times a day to go up to his box. Oh -- and make sure the slope isn't too steep. Mine is a 6 foot ramp to go up to a 2 foot high platform. In hindsight it would've been better to make the ramp 8 foot or so so it was less steep. He's mastered it now but it was challenging sometimes when he was smaller.

Let me know if you have any questions. My setup is geared for a big beasty sulcata but maybe it'll give you some ideas.

sjones28

Rochester NY
awesome home for your tort! Shelby is a lot smaller and I don’t have that much room so mine I’m hoping to look like a miniature version of yours, I’m thinking 6x4 foot with a raised hide. Do I need any heat/ climate control for her hide? I’m planning on using pvc pipes across the top to suspend lamps on.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
awesome home for your tort! Shelby is a lot smaller and I don’t have that much room so mine I’m hoping to look like a miniature version of yours, I’m thinking 6x4 foot with a raised hide. Do I need any heat/ climate control for her hide? I’m planning on using pvc pipes across the top to suspend lamps on.
You could put a Kane mat in there on a thermostat. Or a radiant heat panel (RHP) on a thermostat. Check out the care sheets for herman's. Click on species find your species and start reading. Keep asking questions

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl

Thanks for the reply.

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
I used the wood trim pieces that normally go on the top of kitchen cabinets as a railing along the sides of my ramp.

Attachments

• IMG_20190712_203107.jpg
    IMG_20190712_203107.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 8