New tortoise owner, need a little guidance and advice please!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Information overload. I blame Tom. lol
Guilty as charged. Again...

Evidently we told the OP things they weren't ready to hear.
Or didn't want to hear. Another case of "I'll just keep asking until I get the answer that I want to hear."

This OP is just a microcosm of the world today. There clearly is something wrong with YOU, because you don't agree with ME!!!

But I do blame @Tom as well. The guy just wanted his participation trophy and you just couldn't give it to him, could you?!?!
So true, unfortunately.

No participation trophies from me. You gotta earn it! In real life there is a winner and a loser. I see no sense in teaching people of any age otherwise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Actually, found a wonderful Facebook group who has been absolutely wonderful in helping me in my tortoise travels.

thanks, but I will be leaving this forum. I understand the passion for these incredible creatures. Just looking for some actually relatable people that care and actually help.
I was going to let this go, but I just can't...

In the very title of your thread you asked guidance and advice. You even said please. I politely took 10 minutes out of my to day answer your questions and give you the advice that you asked for. Advice that took decades of trial and error and countless experiments, observations and conversations to acquire.

Your answer is to tell me I'm un-relatable, I don't care, and my advice was not helpful? As Lokkje said, "wow". Un-relatable? I can't argue this one. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some people don't like me, so you aren't the first. I don't care? I think you are going to lose that argument anyway you look at it. The evidence here on this forum alone says otherwise in a big way. Not helpful? In time, and at your tortoise's expense, you will learn all of the things I posted for you above about sulcata tortoise care. You'll learn that the FB groups are not helpful and most of them give bad, old, out-dated, incorrect advice. You are making the same mistakes that I made so many years ago, following the same wrong advice, listening to the same wrong people. Your tortoise will suffer for your shortcomings, whatever those might be.

I'm not here to stroke egos. I'm not here to make friends (Although I've made lots of them along the way...). I'm not here to tell anyone what they want to hear. I'm here to help tortoises, and help tortoise caretakers keep their tortoises healthy and thriving. Not everybody receives the message.

Jenna kamenski

South Carolina
There is absolutely nothing wrong with what anyone has said to you as far as advice goes - you asked for help and you got that, you didn’t like what was said to you and you now want to run to a Facebook group, which I’m not going to lie, I’m a member of two of them but I would much rather get the information needed from here - I have learned a lot from reading on here and following Tom’s very useful and helpful advice. I’ve noticed Tom means absolutely no harm to anyone but he’s also not going to ever sugar coat anything because advice was given, questions were asked and he’s going to answer them to the best of his knowledge because he’s been a tortoise keeper for decades, been through trial and errors and has tons of information to back all that up...more than most of the members on this forum are very passionate tortoise keepers who have done this for a very very long time...I am sad to see you leave because this forum and me personally having one on one talks with Tom has taught me a lot and I’ve learned way more here than I ever would from a Facebook group...not bashing the facebooks groups at all but you will find the very most useful and knowledgeable information right here, on this forum because let’s be honest, there’s not that many Facebook users that take the time out of their day to learn about tortoises or to learn what works best and write a caresheet on them

bluewolf

Melbourne Florida
Usually, when we see lots of pictures especially of the enclosure, what the OP is looking for is big pats on the back about how wonderful their enclosure is. Tom calls it like he sees it. There's nothing wrong with the advice he gave, with maybe the exception that I think the aquarium is an ok size for now.

I am sad when people object to sound advice. It was given by one among others that love torts. It is life or death to the torts and am glad to read this advice even if the person it was intended for did not.

treyc424

New Jersey
Please don't take it personally if you can help it. This forum is the most helpful and kind I've ever been on and has helped me immensely with my tortoise. It's so frustrating to see someone reply like that when you took time to help them. But so many of us are grateful for all of the advice!

SPILL

Illinois
Seems to be an uptick in these types of responses during the winter.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Hello Tom, this is my first response on this forum. I've been reading this forum for almost two years. I started with a Sucata tortoise weighing 46 grams. He will be 2 yrs old on Dec 21. He now weighs almost 7 pounds. I tried about ten years ago to raise a baby Sulcata, not knowing anything about their needs. Unfortunately that tortise did not make it. I blame myself for that. But before getting another one, I did a lot of reading and with this forums information I want everyone to know that my tortoise (Sammy) is very healthy and happy. The issue about the Sucata in the Igloo was hard to read. I want to thank this forum for all you helpful information, and will continue to read.

Attachments

• 20190917_145522.jpg
    20190917_145522.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 16
  • 20190914_191553.jpg
    20190914_191553.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16