New Tortoise Owner - I think they mislabeled the species!

torinator13

Location (City and/or State)
Utah (but originally NJ)
Hi all! I had been looking at a Hermann's Tortoise for so long and went to the pet store to get decorations and substrate for the enclosure I just built while I waited for the exotic pet store to have tortoises back in.

Petco to my surprise had a "Hermann's Tortoise" for sale and I was so exited that I got my tort right then and there. The employee wasn't sure if it was male or female so I just say "him" for now, and estimated the tort to be 1-2 years old - but he wasn't sure since it was only is 2nd day at the store and wasn't familiar with all the animals yet.

I thought it may have been an Eastern Hermann's because of how light the shell is, but the more I look at my little guy I don't think that's the case. I've only had him for 3 days and I plan on keeping him - just want to know exactly what Mediterranean species he is so I can provide the absolute best care.

Attached are pictures! Any help on identification would be really helpful!

PXL_20210227_202443674.MP.jpg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
I'm not sure but this will help you with his care - temps and and diet etc

Be careful he doesn't fall off that log and get stuck in between the glass (?) or on his back for any length of time because if he can't right himself he could die.
If you post a full photo of his enclosure you'll get great advice if there are any changes you need to make.

Last edited:

torinator13

Utah (but originally NJ)
Hi and welcome.
I'm not sure but this will help you with his care - temps and and diet etc

Be careful he doesn't fall off that log and get stuck in between the glass (?) or on his back for any length of time because if he can't right himself he could die.
If you post a full photo of his enclosure you'll get great advice if there are any changes you need to make.

Thanks for the help! The pic of him on the log was at the pet store, his current set up is still getting supplies in but I'll keep that in mind!

torinator13

Utah (but originally NJ)
Can you please post a picture of the plastron the underneath? And tail area too.
You have an eastern Hermann’s tortoise, no question about it. This color scheme is way more common than many realize.
you can see more like it on my site:

HermanniHaven.com

Wow okay, thanks Chris! I have been following your YouTube and Instagram for a few weeks now since I started my tortoise search on what would be a good breed for me. Doing my best to stay educated so my little tort gets the best care!

torinator13

Utah (but originally NJ)
I have been involved in keeping tortoises for almost 20 years, and I just don't think any one has a tortoise named Grog, lol, welcome to you. I have a bestie in New Jersey, she'll pop in to say hi

Hi thank you! I know Grog is a unique name: I saw the word on a billboard pack in September and thought "how cool would that be to name my futuretortoise!"

I grew up in New Jersey but recently moved to Utah- I love meeting people from my home state though!

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I have been involved in keeping tortoises for almost 20 years, and I just don't think any one has a tortoise named Grog, lol, welcome to you. I have a bestie in New Jersey, she'll pop in to say hi

HI ?‍♀️!!!!
I don’t Want to be presumptuous but I THINK I’m the bestie?
(Be careful how you read that..
My grandma never liked us kids always running around.... she used to call us
“Wee beasties”!! ?)
Yes , you read that right!
Anyway, hello ? welcome!
Glad you’re here!
I will need your advice soon enough....?
Good luck with your beautiful new tortoise!
I am soooo glad you became his/her HERO!
YOU ROCK!! In my book.
The wonderful people on here will steer you
in the right direction. You are now in good hands!!!!
Enjoy your little one now.. ❤️?‍♀️??
(I threw in the alien just for fun.) ?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hi thank you! I know Grog is a unique name: I saw the word on a billboard pack in September and thought "how cool would that be to name my futuretortoise!"

I grew up in New Jersey but recently moved to Utah- I love meeting people from my home state though!

Hello and welcome,
I LOVE the name Grog for your tort!!!!
It’s different!
But you do know “Grog” is a kind of beer in Scotland/England/Ireland..right?
Used to serve it in mid-evil times...
(Someone please help me with this explanation)..
Anyway, LOVE IT!
Oh... and by the way.... I’m the nut from NJ.
Why move to Utah?
What’s in Utah?
Utah???....REALLY???
Utah?....??..... she must have been real pretty.....?
????

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hello and welcome,
I LOVE the name Grog for your tort!!!!
It’s different!
But you do know “Grog” is a kind of beer in Scotland/England/Ireland..right?
Used to serve it in mid-evil times...
(Someone please help me with this explanation)..
Anyway, LOVE IT!
Oh... and by the way.... I’m the nut from NJ.
Why move to Utah?
What’s in Utah?
Utah???....REALLY???
Utah?....??..... she must have been real pretty.....?
????
Well, I sure as sh*t don't any one else in NJ