New Tortoise Owner - I think they mislabeled the species!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
Hi thank you! I know Grog is a unique name: I saw the word on a billboard pack in September and thought "how cool would that be to name my futuretortoise!"

I grew up in New Jersey but recently moved to Utah- I love meeting people from my home state though!
I'm sure you know this, Grog means drink in ancient times.I was an otr truck diver for a number of years, and 3 of those companies had headquarters in SLC. I have driven around Utah and it is one of my favorites. Would you mind telling what city?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Hello and welcome,
I LOVE the name Grog for your tort!!!!
It’s different!
But you do know “Grog” is a kind of beer in Scotland/England/Ireland..right?
Used to serve it in mid-evil times...
(Someone please help me with this explanation)..
Anyway, LOVE IT!
Oh... and by the way.... I’m the nut from NJ.
Why move to Utah?
What’s in Utah?
Utah???....REALLY???
Utah?....??..... she must have been real pretty.....?
????
Lake Powell is what's in Utah, as well as many gorgeous state & national parks with big canyons for hiking, biking, boating, off-roading, river rafting, etc.

torinator13

Utah (but originally NJ)
Hello and welcome,
I LOVE the name Grog for your tort!!!!
It’s different!
But you do know “Grog” is a kind of beer in Scotland/England/Ireland..right?
Used to serve it in mid-evil times...
(Someone please help me with this explanation)..
Anyway, LOVE IT!
Oh... and by the way.... I’m the nut from NJ.
Why move to Utah?
What’s in Utah?
Utah???....REALLY???
Utah?....??..... she must have been real pretty.....?
????

After I picked Grog I realized it's also a type of old beer in Europe ? but I enjoy beer so it just fit for me overall for the tort's name ?

We moved for my bf's job after finishing college, he's an engineer but the mountains are such an added bonus for skiing and hiking! I'm an active woman and I'll sure miss the shore being so close and the water ice, but I just love the recreational stuff out west! The national parks in Utah and surrounding states are so accessible with just a few hours in the car.

torinator13

Utah (but originally NJ)
I'm sure you know this, Grog means drink in ancient times.I was an otr truck diver for a number of years, and 3 of those companies had headquarters in SLC. I have driven around Utah and it is one of my favorites. Would you mind telling what city?

I live just north of SLC! It's so beautiful here