New tortoise owner?

Ozzy1975

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hi ?
I am a new owner of a 2 year old Hermann tortoise.
I’m just a little bit worried about his popping he has pooped for three days in a row.
I have read that they should pop between every 2-3 days.
Any advice on this would be great. He’s seems fine he’s eating well.
just need some reassurance really and what to keep my eye on.

thank you in advance ?

Attachments

• A3C7C732-931D-497A-8E60-8ADC237EF687.jpeg
    A3C7C732-931D-497A-8E60-8ADC237EF687.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hi ?
I’m just a little bit worried about his popping he has pooped for three days in a row.

thank you in advance ?
Hello and welcome from Devon. I have a Hermanns tortoise too, who is nearly 21 years old. He usually poops once or twice a day, and I would be a bit worried if he didn't poop for a couple of days - it partly depends how much he has eaten , of course (usually quite a lot). I don't think you have any need to worry about yours at all - where did you read that, I wonder?
He looks very cute - what is his name?
Angie

Ozzy1975

London
Thank you Angie, I have read so much I can’t remember where ?
Well as long as he’s fine he’s eating well and he’s up and about walking around he’s soooo cute and tiny ?
He didn’t poop for a couple of days and then he’s had three days in a row, so I was just a little concerned.
He’s name is is Ozzy, not sure he is a he ?
What’s yours called ?

ZenHerper

New Jersey
I think the Occasional Pooping thing goes along with the Occasional Feeding advice (which is horrible).

As long as the stool is formed and not not slimy, it's fine.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thank you Angie, I have read so much I can’t remember where ?
Well as long as he’s fine he’s eating well and he’s up and about walking around he’s soooo cute and tiny ?
He didn’t poop for a couple of days and then he’s had three days in a row, so I was just a little concerned.
He’s name is is Ozzy, not sure he is a he ?
What’s yours called ?
Ours is called Zola, and he is a wonderful little companion. I wish this forum had existed when we first got him, as we would have been able to get reliable,sensible information - there was very little 20 years ago, and far fewer people we could ask - you are lucky, as there are lots of people who can give knowledgeable help on the forum.
What were you feeding Ozzy in the photo?
Angie

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Hi ?

thank you in advance ?
Congrats on your new tortoise and welcome to the forum. Ozzy looks so cute! Tortoises all grow at different rates, but from the look of your avatar, he looks way too small for a 2 year old. How much does he weigh? Can we see more pictures of him and his enclosure? I also have a 2 year old Hermann’s and he poops darn near every day. There may be the occasional day he will not poop…like maybe 3 times per month, but he usually makes up for it the next day lol. Are your tortoises poops well formed or are they watery? As long as they’re well formed, you have nothing to worry about in that regard.

If you haven’t already seen it, here is a link to the most up to date care information for our species of tortoise. It was created by one of our most experienced members and has a lot of helpful information.

You’ve picked a great species of tortoise. Hermann’s have such incredible personalities and their shells are so beautiful. I have had my little guy since he was 3 months old and weighed just 23 grams. He turned 2 in May and now weighs a whopping 565 grams…the boy loves to eat! I love him so much and see more and more of his personality everyday. I am still in awe of him everyday. I hope Ozzy brings as much joy to your life as Dozer (my tortoise) has brought to mine.

Ozzy1975

London
Congrats on your new tortoise and welcome to the forum. Ozzy looks so cute! Tortoises all grow at different rates, but from the look of your avatar, he looks way too small for a 2 year old. How much does he weigh? Can we see more pictures of him and his enclosure? I also have a 2 year old Hermann’s and he poops darn near every day. There may be the occasional day he will not poop…like maybe 3 times per month, but he usually makes up for it the next day lol. Are your tortoises poops well formed or are they watery? As long as they’re well formed, you have nothing to worry about in that regard.

If you haven’t already seen it, here is a link to the most up to date care information for our species of tortoise. It was created by one of our most experienced members and has a lot of helpful information.

You’ve picked a great species of tortoise. Hermann’s have such incredible personalities and their shells are so beautiful. I have had my little guy since he was 3 months old and weighed just 23 grams. He turned 2 in May and now weighs a whopping 565 grams…the boy loves to eat! I love him so much and see more and more of his personality everyday. I am still in awe of him everyday. I hope Ozzy brings as much joy to your life as Dozer (my tortoise) has brought to mine.
I haven’t actually weighted him but I will do now you have said that, I will let you know what he weight soon, thank you for your kind words, ohh I just adore him he’s so cute ?

Ozzy1975

London

Hi, I just look at his certificate and he can’t be 2 years old it was issued this year, so I have no idea now I will post it here to see if anyone had an idea, I think he was born last august. I weighed him too ? I don’t have digital scale so he’s in the kitchen ones ?‍♀️?

Attachments

• 0CFDB2ED-7272-420E-AB5C-7130D24D643E.jpeg
    0CFDB2ED-7272-420E-AB5C-7130D24D643E.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 24
  • 9F4E17C4-9F4A-41E7-BDA6-6CB591BE7AC8.jpeg
    9F4E17C4-9F4A-41E7-BDA6-6CB591BE7AC8.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hi, I just look at his certificate and he can’t be 2 years old it was issued this year, so I have no idea now I will post it here to see if anyone had an idea, I think he was born last august. I weighed him too ? I don’t have digital scale so he’s in the kitchen ones ?‍♀️?
Hello - Thanks for posting your CITES certificate - I see the date that is recorded is 24 August ,but I expect that was done a bit later than his actual hatching. I would suggest you get some cheap digital scales very soon, as it is great to see the progress day by day, and also to be able to tell if he has suddenly lost weight- of course poop and poo weigh quite a lot in themselves, so try to weigh him at about the same time of day always.
Angie

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello - Thanks for posting your CITES certificate - I see the date that is recorded is 24 August ,but I expect that was done a bit later than his actual hatching. I would suggest you get some cheap digital scales very soon, as it is great to see the progress day by day, and also to be able to tell if he has suddenly lost weight- of course poop and poo weigh quite a lot in themselves, so try to weigh him at about the same time of day always.
Angie
Sorry - I meant poop and pee,of course ! The dates of the original info on Ozzys certificate were last year, and then the general signing off at the bottom is Bristol 12 Jan 2021 -so it obviously takes some months to get it done.
With Zola we chose an approximate day to celebrate his birthday (and by a strange coincidence it is the same date as my birthday !! )
Best wishes from Angie