New tortoise Mom

Newfietexan

Location (City and/or State)
Houston, Texas
Hi ! Looking to adopt two tortoise ! Can anyone tell me what kind they are ?

DA9ED26D-11D5-412E-97D4-CD61C96C798E.png34759F08-8E25-4F44-8180-3ED14BA05A6F.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The one on the left in the first picture is a Russian. The other may be too, but I can't see it well enough to know for sure.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

The one on the right looks like a Russian that has grown quickly as of late; that would account for the thick white ring of new growth.

Russians, and pretty much all tortoises, cannot be kept in pairs. They are solitary animals who see other creatures as competition as food or territory. Someone who didn’t know much about tortoises probably sold them stating they were siblings or that they need friends, which is absolutely untrue. Signs that you and I may mistake as friendship—sleeping together, sharing a food bowl—are actually signs of bullying and competition among tortoises. At one point the weaker tortoise will become ill or fail to thrive. Russians are particularly aggressive and may bite off an eye or tail.

They need separate enclosures. So you’ll need to make two or only adopt one. :( They need much larger enclosures as well; these guys walk and walk. They are both very handsome, it would be hard to pick just one but we want to be sure any tortoise our members get can be healthy.

Newfietexan

Houston, Texas
Welcome!

The one on the right looks like a Russian that has grown quickly as of late; that would account for the thick white ring of new growth.

Russians, and pretty much all tortoises, cannot be kept in pairs. They are solitary animals who see other creatures as competition as food or territory. Someone who didn’t know much about tortoises probably sold them stating they were siblings or that they need friends, which is absolutely untrue. Signs that you and I may mistake as friendship—sleeping together, sharing a food bowl—are actually signs of bullying and competition among tortoises. At one point the weaker tortoise will become ill or fail to thrive. Russians are particularly aggressive and may bite off an eye or tail.

They need separate enclosures. So you’ll need to make two or only adopt one. :( They need much larger enclosures as well; these guys walk and walk. They are both very handsome, it would be hard to pick just one but we want to be sure any tortoise our members get can be healthy.
Wow thanks so much for all the info !! I haven’t adopted them yet. I just wanted to get all the info I could get on them first !! Thanks ?