new tortoise mom weird marking on shell

Location (City and/or State)
orlando, florida
Hello, I'm Adrianne I live in florida and I am a first time tortoise owner. I own a Leopard he was born smaller than the others and i've had it for over a month now. It is still a hatchling and let me just say very adventurous. Very active now, it wasn't the first couple of days but now its really come out of its shell. The name is Kevin and i'll post a picture. Kevin does poop A LOT during its soakings, but I wanted to introduce myself and ask if there are any tips and tricks i should know and also I've noticed a weird mark on both sides of its shell and i'm a bit of a worrier. I'll attach pictures below. Also i took those while Kevin was sleeping.

830AFA7A-2917-4452-954A-1D4093334DDC_1_201_a.jpegB9D53E19-A596-466B-A2E6-D1B8A92DA734.jpegE646383C-D411-4DA1-A2CE-EDBCA360A495.jpeg9C029241-C53A-4C66-8B5F-3949344F8235.jpeg5E6BA31E-E3EE-4102-BDFF-E8B3B53CC160.jpeg

Reactions: Ink

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome Adrianne, Kevin is a cutie.
Read the caresheet Randy gave you and if you could. Please send us pics of your enclosure. If you bought Kevin from a pet store. Basically forget what they told you. They are not knowledgeable about care of tortoises. We can guide you so you give the best care for Kevin. Starting Kevin out correctly will give him the best chance of survival.
The marks look fine to me. It just looks like normal growth.

orlando, florida
orlando, florida
Welcome Adrianne, Kevin is a cutie.
Read the caresheet Randy gave you and if you could. Please send us pics of your enclosure. If you bought Kevin from a pet store. Basically forget what they told you. They are not knowledgeable about care of tortoises. We can guide you so you give the best care for Kevin. Starting Kevin out correctly will give him the best chance of survival.
The marks look fine to me. It just looks like normal growth.

I'm going to post pictures now and I actually got Kevin from a ranch out here in Florida. He was the last of the bunch because no one wanted him because of his size. Also thank you I was freaking out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

When baby tortoises are inside the egg, they are sort of folded in half. That wrinkle on his shell will smooth out eventually.