New Tortoise mom again after many years

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
Thank you so much Skip. I got 2 tiles last night to do that very thing with a bigger clay pot bottom dish so can use both together.
I appreciate the toenail advice. I’m a retired dog groomer of 33 years and know about quicks? I’ve even done guinea pigs and large bunnies and a couple other critters. But wondering how to hold Douglas to do his back ones was going to be a challenge by myself and I sure didn’t want to upset him. So my theory was beak in the clay dish and back feet on the rough concrete 12” tile. Got his dish in this morning but going to heat the stone in my oven a little then get it buried down to about a half above. I can always lift it up as it gets covered up but harder to get it lower.
For his back claws, lay him upside down on your thighs with the top of his head pointed at your tummy, you can grab his leg with your left hand, holding on tight, snip. If you did dogs for that long, a tortoise ain't nuthin...lol
BTW...I have never known any type of tile that would file down an overgrown beak, or trim claws. Beaks get over grown because in captivity they don't have access to the tough dried grasses and weeds that they would normally fight to get out of the ground. I'm not saying they are not fed a good diet, just different.

Last edited:

Beachtherapy

Tennessee
For his back claws, lay him upside down on your thighs with the top of his head pointed at your tummy, you can grab his leg with your left hand, holding on tight, snip. If you did dogs for that long, a tortoise ain't nuthin...lol
BTW...I have never known any type of tile that would file down an overgrown beak, or trim claws. Beaks get over grown because in captivity they don't have access to the tough dried grasses and weeds that they would normally fight to get out of the ground. I'm not saying they are not fed a good diet, just different.
They are like tiles for your house. But are 12x12” and have a slight abrasive surface. Not much. I think the pot bottom has done a little to his front nails already. One looks like brick and I chose the gray.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
They are like tiles for your house. But are 12x12” and have a slight abrasive surface. Not much. I think the pot bottom has done a little to his front nails already. One looks like brick and I chose the gray.
I know about the tiles, I just never heard of them working...