New tortoise, inadequate habitat?

Protus

Hi, my name is Steph and we recently purchased a Russian tortoise for my sons 4th birthday. His name is Protus and I'm not sure how old he is or really any other details about him before he came to live with us.

I'm ashamed to say I didn't properly research what I needed and instead trusted the pet store on what type of habitat was ideal for him. He is currently in a 50 gallon tank with a wire top. We will be making him a better habitat this month that is bigger and better for him however, I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on what I can do now to help make this better for him until his new home is built. I'm worried I don't have enough light for him. The guy at the pet store assured us this (attaching photo) is the only bulb we would need but his tank looks so dark. Should I have more light?

Also, I haven't found any poop yet. How often should I be seeing poop? He is eating and I've seen him in his water dish but we've had him 5 days now and I still haven't seen any.

The picture I'm attaching isn't the best but he is in the middle of eating right now and I dont image.jpeg want to interrupt him or scare him.

Thanks for any advice you have!!

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Netherlands
Hi and welcome!

I'm no expert on Russians, but have you read the care sheet?

He needs UVB light and heat. Do you have a thermometer in your enclosure (preferably a digital one)? Your light could be a little high.

What type of bulb is it? The coiled type has caused eye problems in many torts and isn't recommended.

Protus

Thank you!!

I have read the care sheet and I'm still confused. I Just can't figure out if I need another light or not. Should his whole tank have light shining on it during the day? The cool side doesn't have any direct light.

I do have a digital thermometer and it seems to stay around 82 degrees during the day and 70-72 at night. I was worried the light is too high as well but I'm not sure how to fix that with this tank. It will be lower once we build him the new habitat. I'm open to any suggestion though.

It's a zoo med powersun uv 100W self-ballasted mercury vapor UVB lamp. It says it provides heat, light, UVA and UVB. It isn't a coiled bulb. Is this a good bulb?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You've got a good bulb, but it needs to be closer for it to work. The temperature directly under the bulb should be 95-100.

Adding more light with another basking bulb or a tube type florescent bulb won't hurt anything, but its debatable whether or not you need it. I like it brighter for mine, to simulate day time outside, but your tortoise won't come to any harm if you leave it as is.

Check this out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Thank you!!

I have read the care sheet and I'm still confused. I Just can't figure out if I need another light or not. Should his whole tank have light shining on it during the day? The cool side doesn't have any direct light.

I do have a digital thermometer and it seems to stay around 82 degrees during the day and 70-72 at night. I was worried the light is too high as well but I'm not sure how to fix that with this tank. It will be lower once we build him the new habitat. I'm open to any suggestion though.

It's a zoo med powersun uv 100W self-ballasted mercury vapor UVB lamp. It says it provides heat, light, UVA and UVB. It isn't a coiled bulb. Is this a good bulb?
Yes thats a great bulb ! Can you measure the temperature under the basking spot, on the hot side , and cool side of the tank? What substrate are you using? I have a russian tortoise too :) well 2. The tank does seem dark. Im not sure about the answer about another light though. My tank is bright because i have the uvb and basking light separate, not in one bulb. if it were me, i would like to have it bright on both sides during the day. But if adding another light will increase the temperature too high, i wouldnt do it. Of course there are different watts available, and it depends if youre willing to buy another lamp and lamp dome.
Maybe you can move the enclosure next to a window ?