New tortoise help!

Sammyc19

Location (City and/or State)
UK
So Iv taken on a 4yr old horsefield Tortoise. Iv always loved them but I’m really nervous about getting things right.
my main concern is he’s not eating much. the last three days he’s had only one small leaf of Romain lettuce and he’s not that active tho I’m not sure how active he should be?
His original table was double the size of the one I have (he’s getting a much bigger one but it’s not arrived yet) could the lack of room be affecting him? Being moved to a new home?
he’s come from a home with other tortoises to a home with one him? Could this put him off his food?
Iv made sure his temperatures are the same he’s a heat lamp uva/b lamp. I’m giving him all the same food as he’d normally get.
stupid question but how do I know if he’s happy? I really want to give him the best home but I’m just worried he’s not happy with me yet. Please help, any advice on bring a tort into a new home very welcome
many thanks
Sam x

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Tortoises definitely don't like to move. They get comfortable in their own "territory" and don't generally want to leave.

Putting him into a smaller space doesn't help, but he'd still need an adjustment period even in a bigger space.

Here is the correct care info. Lots of bad advice and bad products out there:

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
Your tortoise needs time to adjust to all the changes in his life. This is the usual MO with newly acquired tortoises. First day, tortoise usually eats like a horse right off the bat. Maybe he freaks out and runs around the enclosure for a minute, but he's going to load his guts when he gets to a new spot. If he's had a bad time, he may not do this, but if conditions are right in his new place, if he's got space to move, a decent temperature, and bright light for over thirteen hours per day, and he isn't under the weather from an ordeal or actually sick or injured, it's usually some variation of this. Then he will hide. Often for days. During these first days, I soak a tortoise every day. Adults who are established, I soak once per week but always provide water in a plant saucer. Tortoises who have been in my care for decades tend to be rather predictable. I see them at the same time every morning, and they're generally planting their faces in the water, waiting to see what I will offer them. But once per week, I soak them, gives me a chance to do a complete examination of everyone. But newbies, soak them every day. You never know what might be wrong with a new tortoise. Hopefully it's nothing. But if it's something, then dehydration is the easiest comorbidity to avoid. You just have to soak the tortoise, even if he hates it and walks against the inside of the soaking tub like an ungrateful jerk, which Russians often do in my experience. Greeks too. Don't know why they can't just sit still like the marginated tortoises do. But those are a thirsty bunch of Mediterranean tortoises.

T.G.

Sammyc19

UK
Your tortoise needs time to adjust to all the changes in his life. This is the usual MO with newly acquired tortoises. First day, tortoise usually eats like a horse right off the bat. Maybe he freaks out and runs around the enclosure for a minute, but he's going to load his guts when he gets to a new spot. If he's had a bad time, he may not do this, but if conditions are right in his new place, if he's got space to move, a decent temperature, and bright light for over thirteen hours per day, and he isn't under the weather from an ordeal or actually sick or injured, it's usually some variation of this. Then he will hide. Often for days. During these first days, I soak a tortoise every day. Adults who are established, I soak once per week but always provide water in a plant saucer. Tortoises who have been in my care for decades tend to be rather predictable. I see them at the same time every morning, and they're generally planting their faces in the water, waiting to see what I will offer them. But once per week, I soak them, gives me a chance to do a complete examination of everyone. But newbies, soak them every day. You never know what might be wrong with a new tortoise. Hopefully it's nothing. But if it's something, then dehydration is the easiest comorbidity to avoid. You just have to soak the tortoise, even if he hates it and walks against the inside of the soaking tub like an ungrateful jerk, which Russians often do in my experience. Greeks too. Don't know why they can't just sit still like the marginated tortoises do. But those are a thirsty bunch of Mediterranean tortoises.

T.G.
Fantastic advice thank you so much he’s actually started to eat More now So hopefully it was just an adjustment period. His new table is coming soon so hopefully that won’t upset him to much, moving again. But the new table is much bigger. Iv been reading loads of tips on here so hopefully I’ll get everything right. Thank you for taking the time to reply

Sammyc19

UK
Hello and welcome.

Tortoises definitely don't like to move. They get comfortable in their own "territory" and don't generally want to leave.

Putting him into a smaller space doesn't help, but he'd still need an adjustment period even in a bigger space.

Here is the correct care info. Lots of bad advice and bad products out there:
Fantastic thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Iv actually been reading your messages on other questions and taking lots of notes

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
Welcome to the forum, I have a new Russian also and he is taking some time to adjust. He ate yesterday some when I got him but today he is not.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
Has your tortoise started eating yet? Mine has started eating a little bit.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
He eats everything we put down now! He’s so much personality and loves his food now
that is great news, mine is eating too, but he doesn't like kale.