New tortoise help!

Bellasmom

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hi everyone! I just purchased a testudo from Petsmart for my daughter,Grace..she is turning 7 on Tuesday and has been wanting one for a year or so now.I am a huuuuuge pet lover and now that we just brought her home,a few days ago,I am so petrified of everything I am doing.I have questions about everything,her basking,her eating habits,her digging(which she has been doing) and burrowing in her hide.I am most nervous about her heating/lighting and how to make it perfect for her.I did alot of research prior to getting her,but there is such variances in answers and its alot to sift through.I need help so we can give her the perfect home she deserves! Thank you all in advance:)

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Look no further! This is the very best place for the most up to date info! It may be different than other sites you've checked, but there is a good reason for that. The people here have decades of keeping and breeding all kinds of torts, and they are willing to try new methods when the old ways aren't working.

So, in order to help you, we need to know exactly what kind of tort you have. It's probably a Russian, but please post some pics of her so we can be sure. Include a shot of her plastron (bottom shell) and we can probably tell you if she is really a she, or a he!

Unfortunately, pet stores are known for giving terrible info on torts. Post some pics of her enclosure and equipment, and we'll see if improvements need to be made.

Torts live a very long time...she and Grace are starting a relationship that could be for decades. How cool is that!

Bellasmom

New York
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Look no further! This is the very best place for the most up to date info! It may be different than other sites you've checked, but there is a good reason for that. The people here have decades of keeping and breeding all kinds of torts, and they are willing to try new methods when the old ways aren't working.

So, in order to help you, we need to know exactly what kind of tort you have. It's probably a Russian, but please post some pics of her so we can be sure. Include a shot of her plastron (bottom shell) and we can probably tell you if she is really a she, or a he!

Unfortunately, pet stores are known for giving terrible info on torts. Post some pics of her enclosure and equipment, and we'll see if improvements need to be made.

Torts live a very long time...she and Grace are starting a relationship that could be for decades. How cool is that!

FF32679C-6343-4B24-AAA6-240F024628D3.jpegDF244E7C-823C-45B0-9CC7-0A724587F8D7.jpeg83A9BF08-239C-4DF2-B6F6-768971A4544F.jpeg

Bellasmom

New York
Thank you so much! I will take some pics of her? up close for you,these are the pics I have so far,Im most concerned about heating/lighting?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I'm thinking the lights 'might' be too far away for any good...the lights need to be off for a dark sleep...what type of bulbs are in there? What are the temps at tortoise level? How about humidity...welcome and please keep asking questions...

Bellasmom

New York
I have a 40 gal tank and a 100 watt bulb,wondering if I need to get a stronger bulb? Im only seeing temps getting to 80-85 degrees? Help!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Congrats on the new tortoise. Pet stores tend to sell the wrong products and give terrible tortoise advice. You got the right substrate, and the hide might work, but everything else is the wrong stuff. Those fixtures are okay, but you only need one. They sold you the wrong bulbs.

Here is the right care info. These threads will explain everything you need to do. After reading these threads, please feel free to come back and ask all your questions.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
This will probably come as a bit of a shock to you, but you have an adult, wild caught tortoise that requires a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet. There is no tank big enough, and your enclosure is much, much too small.

Definitely read the links above, and make sure you’re prepared to buy the necessary items for your tortoise’s care, and the materials to build an indoor tortoise table or outdoor pen. Try to find your receipt so that you can return most of the items you bought, because lord knows items labeled for reptiles are expensive. The enclosure, the ramp bowl, and the compact bulb specifically. Even the feeding dish would be better exchanged for a terra cotta saucer or slate.

Note that beyond (tube) UVB lighting, everything you need for your tortoise can be bought at hardware stores, and not pet stores, for much cheaper.