New tortoise (eyes and sleeping)

Mallon

Just purchased a new tortoise. He was not eating or moving for a week. Took him to the vet and he had worms. The vet gave medicine for 2 weeks and let me take back home. He was active day one and now is rubbing his eyes a lot and has not eaten in 2 days and has not moved in habitat all day. Please help

Last edited:

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
What type of tortoise and what's his enclosure include? Lighting, heating etc.... You need more info and pictures of the set up.

Mallon

Russian tortoise. 100 w heat and uvb bulb this is the habitat and the substrate I use. Cool side is usually 60 to 70 and basking 85 to 95IMG_0002.JPGIMG_0003.PNG

Fredkas

5 Year Member
If your uvb bulb is CFL / coiled bulb, it is highly recommended to change it. The eyes problem could come from that bulb.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I see a couple things that may be contributing to his eye problem.

Your gauges are measuring temp and humidity up too high. You want to know the temperature down at tortoise level.

The habitat is too small for a full grown Russian tortoise. If you could buy another one of those Tortoise Houses and put them together it might pass, but would still be a bit small.

It's pretty hard to keep an open topped container like that heated with the lights on one end. I like to have my lights in the center, then I cover the habitat to keep the warm air inside. The temperature directly under the light should be 100F and the cool end is ok at room temperature.

For his itchy eyes, give him a good soaking every morning in warm water. Put him into a tub with tall sides so he can't climb out, and leave him soaking there in warm water for at least 15 minutes.

What type of food are you offering?

Mallon

The housing is 3.5 feet by 2.5 feet. I'll move the thermometer to see if that helps. The left side has a lid and is normally on just wanted to take a picture. But I only had him for a 2 days and he is this way. I also do soak him every day because thought he might be dehydrated. Still same behaviors. Food wise I have been giving a spring lettuce mix. The exact same the store I got him from was using. That was he was used to it The vet said to have a heat side and a cold side. He never goes on the cold side.

Last edited:

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
That looks like a zoo med tortoise house it's only 3' x 2' and like Yvonne said much to small for an adult Russian.it would be very easy to add on to it, if you have room. I only mention that because it's hard to get temps right in it.

Mallon

Okay. I guess my concern is the housing is way bigger then the tank he was in for months at the pet store. He was extremely active and ate a lot there. Just not at my house. Ill definitely get a bigger habitat. I just want to make sure he's okay being that he had worms when I bought him and is now not eating again just days after I got him back from the vet. And always rubbing eyes even tho I soak him.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Okay. I guess my concern is the housing is way bigger then the tank he was in for months at the pet store. He was extremely active and ate a lot there. Just not at my house. Ill definitely get a bigger habitat. I just want to make sure he's okay being that he had worms when I bought him and is now not eating again just days after I got him back from the vet. And always rubbing eyes even tho I soak him.
I agree its bigger than a tank and you did a great job improving that, so in the near future upgrade. right now we just need to help you figure out this other issue. Could be a temp thing, those gauges being moved to ground level may help you get a better idea. Those aren't real reliable so maybe a temp gun or something better to check temps would help.

Mallon

Okay thanks guys. I'll try a bigger house and moving thermometer or getting a gun. Any other suggestions.