New Tortoise enclosure, Uvb and basking spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crohnsaholic

5 Year Member
Hello everyone, I am new to these forums. I will be getting a red footed tortoise on Sunday at the Kansas City Reptile Expo. I've been doing my research for the past few weeks on care, feeding, etc. I have my enclosure set up basically. It's a 45 gallon rubber maid tub, the substrate is a jungle mix which I keep quite damp to amplify the humidity. I have an easily accessible water bowl for him/her to soak in (and yes I will be giving the tortoise lukewarm baths), a flower pot that will act as its hide box. Now my question comes to the basking spot and uvb. I have read that they are necessary on some sites and others where you do not need them. I was under the impression that you should have a basking spot (it's 90-95 F). And also that you should have a uvb light. Is this correct? Or do I not need either of these? Please respond because when I do get my tortoise I want it to be as comfortable as possible Also if you have any other advice on the other characteristics of my enclosure or questions than please don't hesitate to ask or tell me :) Thank you for your time. :)

LindaF

5 Year Member
I'm a newbie too. I have had my little guy almost 7 months now. There are strong opinions out there. Since it is cold out, I have had to bring him in. Inside I use a CHE, basking spot, and repti glo 5.0 UVB bulb. I thought it was best have a UVB since during the winter he won't be getting that much natural sunlight.

Balboa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PNW
It's SOOO nice to hear from folks that have done the research, THANK YOU!

As to needing UVB, as Linda stated, there are strong opinions both ways, healthy and unhealthy torts both ways.

IMVHO the true necessity likely depends on age. For Babies, I'm suspecting diet plays a greater role, for Juveniles and Up the sun starts taking over.

The best bet, IMHO once again, at this stage of the game is to cover your bases. I do give mine UVB, but I don't blast them with it, and I try to give them the very best, most varied diet I can. I can tell you this, so far my 4 inch refuses to bask, and I'm still wondering if that's her natural instinct to avoid light, or if its just a result of her treatment before me and the unhappy state she's in.
I've also picked up a large wire dog kennel for a temporary outdoor enclosure, and on those few fall days where it gets sunny enough, one of them goes out in it and hopefully catches a little UVB. Even the non-UVB lamp camp promotes natural sunshine.

Forgot to through in, in case you missed it in research HUMIDITY HUMIDITY HUMIDITY... I AM convinced that and temps are crucial, and they need to be consistant, 5 minutes of 80% going to 50% between mistings won't cut it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Crohnsaholic:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know your name?

Crohnsaholic

5 Year Member
My name is Brandon. And thank you guys for the answers! Keep em coming, the more info the merrier.

Crohnsaholic

5 Year Member
So basically from what i've heard it just varies based on the age? I'll either be getting a hatch-ling, all the way to a juvenile. I think I will have them just in case, just to be on the safe side :)

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
I'm REALLY surprised more folks haven't chimed in.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I'm not sure how I missed this. I recommend UVB for babies and here is why.

UV light seems to effect the proper growth of the pineal gland which regulates growth, sleep patterns, seasonal behaviors, and, later in life, reproduction. There is a bunch of other stuff, but UV also helps with the development of the eye, and a lot more- all early in life.

Babies spend a lot of time hiding- but carefully tracked babies of several species do prove that they spend time almost every day in the sun. This does not prove anything since they may get their D needs from the yolk sack though.

So, I provide UV and heat on one end with a MVB-UV bulb, and a lot of hides and shade in the rest of it. I've seen mine bask in the classic sun-worship position, which makes me feel like I am on a good track.

Crohnsaholic

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:
I'm not sure how I missed this. I recommend UVB for babies and here is why.

UV light seems to effect the proper growth of the pineal gland which regulates growth, sleep patterns, seasonal behaviors, and, later in life, reproduction. There is a bunch of other stuff, but UV also helps with the development of the eye, and a lot more- all early in life.

Babies spend a lot of time hiding- but carefully tracked babies of several species do prove that they spend time almost every day in the sun. This does not prove anything since they may get their D needs from the yolk sack though.

So, I provide UV and heat on one end with a MVB-UV bulb, and a lot of hides and shade in the rest of it. I've seen mine bask in the classic sun-worship position, which makes me feel like I am on a good track.

Sweet! thanks for the info! Appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.