New tortoise coming home soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
im getting juvenille golden greek on tuesday. Its about 4 inch and male. I ordered from turtlesandtortoise for 170 plus shipping. I think its very good price for juvenille. After loosing two baby tortoise, I decided to study more about tortoise and hopefully i will get some baby tortoise next spring. Im gonna call this one smoothie.

I have one questions, since its winter time my humidity its about 30 some times lower. So im trying to increase to at least 50. Any good ideas?

Thanks!

I will update some pics on tuesday.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Very exciting for you :D Remember, we LOVE PICS :p

I would say that you need to plan to have something that will cover a large portion of the top of your enclosure (this will help to retain the humidity like when you mist or add warm water to the substrate) also, remember to keep it warm and moist (not wet) and then you will simply need to just figure your perfect set up to achieve the humidity you are seeking.....you can use a piece of plexi glass, real glass--but not between where your uvb will be (as this can reduce the uvb) Also, plants will help to retain some humidity as well as give your tort a place to hide in/under....and when you spray it retains some of the moisture to create humidity...also you can use silk plants that look pretty real and they will not be consumed and therefore will remain a steady hide...IMHO that is...:D

Pepiiii T xx

5 Year Member
What breed? I am hoping to get a tortoise and I have heard of juveniles and so are they like the older hatchilngs?

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
Pepiiii T xx said:
What breed? I am hoping to get a tortoise and I have heard of juveniles and so are they like the older hatchilngs?

From turtlesandtortoises its very good price for juvenille

AnthonyC said:
Hey, congrats! Good luck with your new tort! :)

Thanks man i keep you on posted

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
It all depends on the tortoise but... mine dig and bury them self every night so I just keep a section of the enclosure sprayed down every evening, during the colder times though I will leave the spraying out.. just spray them at some point during the day. Mine were yearlings when I got them so its a little different, didn't want to risk them getting respiratory infections and all that when its cold. You could also make a humid hide of some sort... like a tupperware container and cutting a hole out of it and putting some damp substrate in there or sponge if you want easy clean up and put an under tank type of heater under it to keep that hide warm. Just an easy idea...

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
gopherhockey03 said:
Congrats your lucky!!!

Thank you~

Mao Senpai said:
It all depends on the tortoise but... mine dig and bury them self every night so I just keep a section of the enclosure sprayed down every evening, during the colder times though I will leave the spraying out.. just spray them at some point during the day. Mine were yearlings when I got them so its a little different, didn't want to risk them getting respiratory infections and all that when its cold. You could also make a humid hide of some sort... like a tupperware container and cutting a hole out of it and putting some damp substrate in there or sponge if you want easy clean up and put an under tank type of heater under it to keep that hide warm. Just an easy idea...

Im trying to get a coco bedding and mixed with repit bark to hold more moisture.I will put some sponge or something inside of humid box to hold moisture also like you told me. Thanks!

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
I bet the suspense is killing you! Hang in there... 2 more days!! :)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Skip the repti bark. It molds and does not hold moisture well, plus the red color from it can stain your tortoise. Also, Dr. Weston, who is a vet that is a member here, does several surgeries each year to remove pieces of it from tortoises stomachs and intestines. It can kill your tortoise if ingested. It is nasty stuff, I hate it with a passion.

Congrats on the new family member!

Status
Not open for further replies.