New Tortoise called Biiffa

Rodders1959

Location (City and/or State)
Bridgwater UK
Hi all i have a lovly new hermann Tortoise called Biffa, i got him last Wednesday but so far i have not seen him eat anything. looking at other feeds this seems normal but i am worried. i give him a bath nearly every day too help keep him hydrated. How long begore i should get really worried. He came from a good breeder and is micro chipped and has papers.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Give us some more info please.
Age, enclosure, type of lighting and heat?
Temps, basking; all over, night?
Humidity?
Diet?

Rodders1959

Bridgwater UK
Give us some more info please.
Age, enclosure, type of lighting and heat?
Temps, basking; all over, night?
Humidity?
Diet?
He is 3 yrs old. 2ft by 4ft tortoise table plus outside run. Combined basking lamp and UV on for 9-10 hrs a day tempetature day time 79f and night time 69f approx xx

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
2x4 is good for a hatchling, not a 3 year old. At the very least it should be 4x8 if he gets a lot of outside time then a 3x6 would be okay.
If the basking lamp is a Coil type bulb stop using it, it can harm eyes. If it's a Mercury Vapor bulb, they are bad for making torts pyramid. Best to get a tube florescent uvb bulb and a spot bulb for basking. Basking should be 95-100 your other temps are fine. Could be even lower 60's at night.
Get a bigger enclosure and add plants for security for the tort.
Soak him every morning and then place him in front of food
Again what is the diet?
Best if all questions are answered in order to give the best help.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Welcome to the forum. Please share more info in set up and have a read of the care sheet to check heat, light, diet and environment.

Tortoise hate change, so it is natural initially for it to be scared and take time to settle in. While fresh food and water must be available and replenished daily they are grazers and can manage without food for a short time but it may be having a nibble without your knowledge.
Enjoy getting to know your new tort and you will be rewarded.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!!

What are the foods you are offering him? Maybe he doesn't recognize it as edible. Do you know what his previous keeper was feeding him?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
The caresheet linked about will help your new tort thrive if you follow the advice. Read that and ask as many questions as you like.
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide to tort safe foods and will help you ID plants.

The MVB all in one lamps have been found to dry and damage tort shells so T5 HO tubes are recommended now with separate flood bulbs for basking and a CHE run through a thermostat for night heat and extra heat when needed.

If you post pics of his enclosure you'll get good advice on how to make it as comfortable and safe as possible for Biffa

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, you have been given some good advice. The basking area is a must, one of the reasons is that it gets the digestive system working properly.

Rodders1959

Bridgwater UK
2x4 is good for a hatchling, not a 3 year old. At the very least it should be 4x8 if he gets a lot of outside time then a 3x6 would be okay.
If the basking lamp is a Coil type bulb stop using it, it can harm eyes. If it's a Mercury Vapor bulb, they are bad for making torts pyramid. Best to get a tube florescent uvb bulb and a spot bulb for basking. Basking should be 95-100 your other temps are fine. Could be even lower 60's at night.
Get a bigger enclosure and add plants for security for the tort.
Soak him every morning and then place him in front of food
Again what is the diet?
Best if all questions are answered in order to give the best help.
Thank you i will take up advice i will take up points xx
Hi, and welcome!!

What are the foods you are offering him? Maybe he doesn't recognize it as edible. Do you know what his previous keeper was feeding him?
i am giving him mixed salad leaves including rocket and dandelion leaves, flowers. in his outside run he has dandelions pamsies and violas, which gives him shade and cover.
in his nesting area there is meadow hay.

at the shop they feed them on mixed lettuce.