New tortoise, being ready for arrival

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
So provided I do get one this week. I have a few questions for his arrival.

I think I read a few times, to take him for 15-20minutes in lukewarm water, that's about 1/3 to 1/2 of his Heighth?

And I'll have all the normal foods ready. But is there any foods I should give as his "first meal" Or just give spring mix? I saw someone give a Hibiscus flower. I just recently got one from Home depot, so i'm waiting until next year to give him that (to get rid of fertilizers).

I do have Day Lillies though, would this be ok to give along with his spring mix on the first day?

Temps: Right now, in his enclosure. cool side is at 75-80, basking at 90-94.

Humidity: Ambient room humidity is about 30% (IN the tank with heat lamp going). And Substrate humidity is about 40-45% (with the heat lamp on).

I got him a little "plate" dish for water. It has a lot of ridges in it for easy access. If it doesn't work out, I have a few other possibilites. He'll be about 2-2.5" so any suggestions on something to use would be great (if it doesn't work)

I made him 2 hides using poppler wood. And I plan to get a few fake plants in there. I may go to real plants once I get everything situated and good to go for him.

I should have pictures on Tuesday or Wednesday of the setup. My camera decided it wanted to die so i'm charging batteries now and I won't be on later tonight :p.

Any other tips/advance would be great, thanks.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Rob adding a day lilly to his spring mix would be fine. His water should be like a babys bath water luke warm and up to about just under his chin. Do not be suprised if he does not eat right off. Some do not. The trip-soaking and change of enviorment sometimes puts them off and scares them a little. If the food bowl for water does not work a plant sauce or a ramp bowl should work. Good luck and congratulations. Can't wait for pics. :)

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Rob,

Don't get all stressed out over the new arrival. I think you have prepared well and it should be fine. Get him home, check him over, maybe soak for a short while, then just let him be for a while. He'll be stressed some from travel, so he'll probably hide for a while and sleep. When he starts coming out and wlaking around, then you can provide a little food for him and see if he eats. He may or may not, so don't get worried yet. It will take time for him to get accustomed to his new home, but it will be fine. :D

Can't wait for pictures!

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Millerlite said:
what one did you decide to go with young or older?

Thanks guys :).

Millterlite - I havn't yet decided what I'm doing. Rich (the other guy) has had his net down for a few days and was hoping to have gotten new updated pictures from the last today, but hasn't yet. Waiting for his call back.

And i'm going to be giving Vincent a call, to at least see what he has available. To keep my options open provided I do go with him.

The first pictures of Rich's (they were very recent ones, maybe taken a week ago) had very smooth shells and looked good.

These are the things crossing my head at the moment.

1. You got a few tortoises from Vincent (that were young like the ones he has now) and they did great. So that's a plus there.

2. Rich I havn't heard much about, but his are already 5+months started and I think I would feel better knowing I got one already started.

So I have to weigh, do I go with someone that at least you know and had good reviews about, but take a chance on getting a younger more vulnerable tort. OR go with someone that looks to have healthy smooth tortoises that are already 5+months started, that isn't as well known.

Now I do not think I will do bad, or take bad care of them. But that certaintly does not mean everything is going to go smooth. As most people said, hatchlings are very tough to take care of.

Status
Not open for further replies.