New tortless member!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenni_48463

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mi
Hello. I have been following this site for a few months now, and finally decided to join! Let me start by introducing myself and my family.
My name is Jenni, my Hubby is Joel.
We have 3 wonderful kids Brenden 6, Allison 5, and Joel jr 1.
We live in Michigan and looking for a tort that will be small enough to bring indoors for the winter. We will either be buying a hatchling or a juvinile. Though i WANT a Sulcata i fear after a few years it would be to big to bring in durring the cold hard winters here :(

We do not own a tortoise YET but have been doing lots of research on which speicies would work best for us! We have norrowed it down to Russian, Hermann, Leopard......maybe even a Yellow foot (because son wants one)

While still looking for a tort we will be getting started on a habbitat as soon as we deside which tort we will be getting!

Any input on what you think would be a goot fit would be great.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Welcome to the forum!

Hermanns, Russians and Greeks are good choices for tortoises that are pretty hardy and stay at a managable size.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome to the forum
The smallest commercially available tortoises in the US are hermans greeks and russians, I am particular to russians myself (owning 3), a RF or YF can be another choice though they tend to get larger than the preciously mentioned ones. It mainly depends on what you want and what diet you are comfortable feeding your tortoise, RF's and YF's eat protein which usually mean bugs, some people don't like that. You might also consider box turtles they stay small and have a diet similar to RF's and YF's.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Welcome to you and your family to the forum. Let us know which one you choose. You will find lots of help and assistance here, whatever the choice.

Jenni_48463

5 Year Member
Mi
Feeding bugs isnt a problem for us. We also own 3 blue spotted salamaders that we feed crickets too.

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I find myself drawing closer to russians for some reason. Cant wait to find some for sale in my area then to get started on the table.... :D soooo exciting

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jenni:

Welcome to the forum!!

Status
Not open for further replies.