New Tortie family.

tortie mom

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Good afternoon. we are so excited to have a spur thighed tortoise baby as a new member of our family. I had a spur thighed boy for about 18 years before giving him to a friend because we were moving to Germany. broke my heart that we couldn't take him with us but he's in such a good home with people who love him the way we did. Now that we are stateside for good we have adopted another baby. Just received him/her? today. We are in Georgia coast, loving the weather. I want to know as much as possible to make sure this little guy is as healthy and happy as possible. I look forward to reading thru the post to see what helpful info i can find. my last boy was long before internet access, making a lot of his raising to what info i could get from the library or vet clinic. So this is awesome to have all this available. So far, the few hours we have had this little one he has explored his habitat, pooped, taken a bath and eaten a whole lot. seems to be happy lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm not a big fan of "spur thigh" when talking about tortoises. Many people mis-use the moniker. So I want to be sure I understand what kind of tortoise you have. Do you have a Greek (Mediterranean spur thigh) or a sulcata (African spurred tortoise)?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) I agree with Yvonne, mainly though because I can't keep them apart:D And for the reason she stated:)

tortie mom

Georgia
I completely understand. He is a sulcata. I've been out of the tortoise life for many years, forgetting a lot of correct terminology lol. I got him from reparian farms out of Arizona.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Tortie mom welcome to the TFO from AZ. Did you invite you friends with the other tort to join ? And of course the best torts come from AZ :)

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello, Hello and welcome.

You know we always like to see some pictures. Care to share few of this new member of your family with us?

tortie mom

Georgia
I will most definitely share some pictures as soon as I figure out how lol. He (we're going to call it a him since we are not sure of the sex) is the most adorable little fella that the whole family is fascinated with. Thank you all for the warm welcome, I am learning so much from all of your vast experience.
I actually do have a question. I've read a few threads talking about heat emitters with temp control (if I'm reading correctly), where would I find such a device? I currently have a CHE for night heat but I'm so afraid it is going to get too hot and boil our little one but I also don't want him getting too cold so any tips on how to regulate the night temperature will be greatly appreciated. We've made him a nice humid home with a hide hole in one corner and heat lamp in the other and coco coir/top soil mix for substrate. Only worry i have is night time temperature regulation. I've put a thermometer in each area to keep track of how hot it gets but can't really check it thru the night.