New tort owner questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cashewman1

5 Year Member
Hey,
I just got registered on this forum and I have a few questions.
I bought a russian tortoise 3 days ago, I have tried to soak him twice, Each time He gets real squirmy and runs out of the soaking plate as soon as possible. I know hes probably stressed out from the move (got him from a place about an hour and half away so he was in the car for awhile), and I also read that russians were not huge fans of water and only need to be soaked once a week or so. Im assuming its fine if he is not soaking for if he was really dehydrated he would drink but I just want to make sure there is nothing wrong here.
Also I would like to find out just how much food I should feed him. Everyday or so Ive been giving him a total of probably 5 leaves of romaine lettuce and 2 chopped up carrots sprayed with a vitamin supplement, and he eats it all with ease. I know neither of these are fantasically nutritious but until I get out to the grocery store I figured it would be fine for a few days.
So how much should I feed him per sitting? Or should I just continue to feed throughout the day. (and I know they only need to eat 3 or so times a week but Its so cute when he eats Im gonna spoil him for a little while!)

Thanks for your time

M

Maggie Cummings

Hi and welcome to the forum. Russians really do hate water, so I put mine in a container that she can't get out of and I soak her about twice a week for 15 minutes or so. But I feed her a small amount every day. You didn't say how old your new tort is, if it's a baby I would feed it twice a day every day.
Here's a link so that you can read up on your new tort and you can decide just how you want to raise it. Does it have a name? Do you know it's sex? Have you decided how you're going to keep it? Tort table, outside enclosure?
And last but not least...you have to post pictures, we LOVE pictures here...:p

http://www.russiantortoise.org/

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gardner, MA
Welcome to the forum. We have a RT also and does not love the water especially with an audience. (If we walk in when he is in his water dish he scrambles his way out ASAP) We give him a large handful of greens, either collard greens, mustard greens, spring mix, once to 2 times a week butternut squash. sometimes he eats it all some times not, we remove leftovers the next morning. Everyone here is very knowledgeable and a great resource for you. Maggie's link is the best --

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hello and welcome.
The link Maggie gave you is a great website loaded with information. It also gives you a list of edible plants. When soaking you should use a container with sides, so they can't get out. I don't soak my adults because they drink everyday. I do soak my babies everyday though w/ water and a few drops of bird multivitamin drops. As far as food I feed babies everyday for about 30 minutes or so, Adults I feed every three days, BUT that's because they eat plants and weeds everyday in there outdoor enclosure. When I feed them it is so I can give them there supplements and veggies (squash, zuchinni, or carrots). But the adults that are not outside they get fed every day for about 20 minutes or so, I mix all the food items together and usually give about 1/2 cup or so per tort and they usually leave a little. If you post pics then it would be easier, so we know if it is a baby or an adult, also we could tell you the sex and the subspecies(maybe). For the babies I put calcium on there food everyday, and a multivitamin twice a week, adults I give it twice a week with the calcium & multivitamin mixed together.
A good calcium & multivitamin should be provided to keep the shell strong and the tort healthy, along with proper lighting. I use reptcal calcium w/o vitamin D and phosphorus free, I also use reptcal multivitamin and rotate w/ minerall multivitamin. You can also put a cuttlebone in for extra calcium, just make sure you peel as much of the backing off before giving it to the tort.
When you get to the store try and get dark leafy greens, some good choices are dandelion greens, spring mix, collard greens, mustard greens, endive, escrole, I also give squash, zucinni, carrots, tomatos (occasionally & remove seeds before giving) and during the fall a little pumpkin to help keep there system cleaned out. I don't give fruits except when i give pumpkin in the fall. Occasionally I will give either ground up or soaked mazuri for added nutrients. There are many other food items you can give just make sure whatever you give it is a variety so your tort doesn't become picky and gets a well balanced diet. Good Luck and keep the questions coming, and I can't wait to see pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.