New Tort Mommy! Hi! Need an id on my little guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perseus

5 Year Member
Hello, hello....I'm the proud new mommy of a golden greek named Perseus. I've had him for about three months and he's doing great! Passed his recent vet check with flying colors (and is now a celebrity in the office).

Habitat: I made my own torty table out of a 2X4 dark slate colored rubbermaid crate. Substrate is mixture of 1/4 peat moss and 3/4 sand. The cooler end of the habitat has a huge pile of hay for him to burrow in.
On the opposite end, I created a 'hot spot' where I have an infrared heating bulb on at all times (it reaches about 78-80F). A piece of slate in underneath it for basking and wearing down his claws. In the opposite corner is a mercury vapor bulb for UVB needs (it's only on for 12 hours a day).

Diet: I constantly on the lookout for items that were on the list I found in your handy Greek forum. I feed him once daily...basically, all he can eat in about twenty minutes or so. Food is sprinkled with a torty calicum supplement that has additional minerals. So far, this is the mixture he gets:

Bok Choy
Cactus pads
Nappa Cabbage
Endive
Escarole
Dandelion
Assorted grass (this is only when he's in the backyard...i.e "the salad bar")
Clover
Romaine

One a week I let him have a few slices of peach, pears or apples.

As far as hydration, I soak him for 10-15 minutes in a shallow bath (lukewarm water). I mist him once a day too. I do this because I do not keep a water dish in his habitat. That was the only thing I was unsure about doing since he is a desert dweller (at least I think he is...). Thoughts on that?

I'm having a hard time figuring out his exact subspecies id? Little help here? I am loading pics now...just figured it out. I placed it in the personal galleries section of the Photo Gallery under my user name. (I'm a techno idiot, forgive me). I would be most grateful!!

-Kirsten

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Welcome to the forum and Congratulations on your new baby :D
I am sure if you post a picture, some Id's experts will be able to help you :). IMO You should stop feeding the bokchoy, and nappa cabbage and the fruits, you do not want to upset your little Perseus tummy :). I feed mine a piece of strawberry every month or so.
You should put a water dish in Perseus enclousre, so if he wants to drink some water or just go sit in it, he can.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Welcome to the forum Kirsten :)

Opinion all given :D

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.