New tort and don’t know what to do?! Help!

hollygaucas

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester
I have a 3 month old Russian tort, but my cat has been lingering around his closure. Should I be worried? He also has been sleeping an awful lot but I don’t know whether this is normal as I have only had him for a couple days. Please help!
:tort:

hollygaucas

Manchester
Also he hasn’t been eating his food and I’m not sure what I should be feeding him. Thanks.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
My neighbor has a couple of Ruskies. He feeds them mostly grass and weeds, especially dandelions. He keeps his indoors in the winter, and they have been known to hibernate, or at least slow down significantly, for a few weeks to a month in the winter. In your case (since you've only had it a couple of days) it might just be going through an adjustment period trying to get used to its new surroundings. They can be quite shy at first.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

hollygaucas

Manchester
My neighbor has a couple of Ruskies. He feeds them mostly grass and weeds, especially dandelions. He keeps his indoors in the winter, and they have been known to hibernate, or at least slow down significantly, for a few weeks to a month in the winter. In your case (since you've only had it a couple of days) it might just be going through an adjustment period trying to get used to its new surroundings. They can be quite shy at first.
Thanks for that information :) my tortoise has been eating a lot more now, she just wanted Italian salad, I guess! She is more active now as well! Thanks for the concern! :tort:

hollygaucas

Manchester
It is normal for a tortoise to act like this when you first get it. Have you taken a look at our care sheet?

Russian Tortoise Care Sheet

https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...hp?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/

Also take a look at this-

Beginner Mistakes

https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...rg/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Also, make sure you handle it as little as possible until it gets used to its surroundings :)
Thanks for the reply, you’re right. Do you know how many watts should be on the UVB bulb?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

hollygaucas

Manchester

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
It depends what kind of bulb you are using. Is it a MVB, coil, etc.

Last edited: