new to tortoises

wec971111

Location (City and/or State)
staten island, new york
hello all,

this is really for my son trevor, he is ten and has been asking us to allow him to have a russian tortoise for a few years. he has read books and watched videos on them. his entire christmas list was everything for the tortoise, based on that and him being responsible my wife and i decided he was ready for it now. my son named him tory (male based on info from forum, it has spur).

growing up i had a variety of pets, closet to a tortoise were three red ear sliders and a painted turtle. these guys really love to bury themselves, seems like he does it more than use his hide. we a trying to only feed him fresh greens (dandelions are his favorite), so far that has been what he prefers. tried the zoo med grassland food, had no interest in it. tory goes crazy for the zoo med flower food topper.

my son is looking forward to start building an raised outdoor pen in the spring and growing all of tory’s food under and in the pen (got a bunch of seed packets for christmas). we have any area of three feet by about twelve feet for the raised pen.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome! Be sure to read the threads pinned at the top of the russian section.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Be careful. I started with one tortoise as a Christmas present for my son. He is grown and moved out a long time ago now, and I have close to 20 tortoises of 3 species. :):tort::<3::tort::<3::)

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Good luck!

TFO is a great place to learn about torts of all flavors... I live with a Russian tortoise, and have loved getting to know him.

Jamie

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
hello all,

this is really for my son trevor, he is ten and has been asking us to allow him to have a russian tortoise for a few years. he has read books and watched videos on them. his entire christmas list was everything for the tortoise, based on that and him being responsible my wife and i decided he was ready for it now. my son named him tory (male based on info from forum, it has spur).

growing up i had a variety of pets, closet to a tortoise were three red ear sliders and a painted turtle. these guys really love to bury themselves, seems like he does it more than use his hide. we a trying to only feed him fresh greens (dandelions are his favorite), so far that has been what he prefers. tried the zoo med grassland food, had no interest in it. tory goes crazy for the zoo med flower food topper.

my son is looking forward to start building an raised outdoor pen in the spring and growing all of tory’s food under and in the pen (got a bunch of seed packets for christmas). we have any area of three feet by about twelve feet for the raised pen.
Congrats on your new Russian! They are great little tortoises....very sturdy and full of personality. Fresh greens are great, and hibiscus leaves and flowers are an awesome treat if you have access to it. Don't hesitate to ask questions....lots of folks here are willing to help in any way we can!

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Congratulations on your new tortoise buddy! May he and your son have many happy and healthy years together. Russians are great little torts